Ultimate do all hunting scope

Curious to which scopes you consider not even close to durable.
Right off the top of my head from experience - Leupold and especially Vortex. Nightforce and Trjicon are solid. And that Trijicon Tenmile that has been mentioned is hard to beat for the price.

Another scope you might want to consider is Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 x 42 I run one on a custom 308 Winchester. This scope works great in dark timber and open country.
I have made long rage shots with this rifle. Works well for me in dark timber as well.
I know some people who run a straight 10x. They have no problems taking game at any range. With that 10x I've seen them shoot some pretty small groups at 600 yards.
I totally wish you all the best in your quest looking for that one perfect scope.

Side note: I have tried other scopes and, find this one fills my needs.
Take care.

You are only going 600yds, but you are hunting in dark timber. The higher the power the scope is the less field of view you have. If you are hunting Varmints and shooting longer ranges, then I would like at a higher powder scope. I use a 2x8 Leupold with a duplex for large game, I good to easy 500yds, and could go out farther if wanting too. So many time you lose scope picture with higher power scopes. Hammerdown showing a 2.5 x10-42 scope. It should fill your needs. Nightforce is a top of the line scope. With higher power scopes you'll see heat waves in higher temp. If the animal moves. and on higher power the harder is to locate the animal.

Last edited:
I have no experience but to those that know, would the Swarovski z6 line fit this bill? I currently shoot lower end NF but for the magnification, weight and clarity seems like a viable option. Just don't know about the repeatability and durability. Maybe someone can chime in about that.

Lance,
It's great to have your feedback here on these scopes.

I would like to know your preference for the reticles in the TT and the ZCO for a hunting scope, along with your opinion on reticle size on the 3x15 and 5x27 TT and the ZCO at minimum power range.
I have a ATCAR in FFP and wondered how these compares.

Thanks Brother
For a TT315M, all mine are the Gen 2XR. But 4 were bought before the release of the Gen 3XR. If buying new, I would go Gen 3XR. But, I have never missed something with the .5MIL subtension where the .2MIL subtension would have been a hit.

ZCO, I have an MPCT1 and an MPCT3. Easy choice. If you don't like a Christmas Tree, MPCT1. If you do, MPCT3.

The 3-15×50 TT315M reticle does get fine on 3x. But, what most don't think about or admit...it has heavy outer stadia, and basically becomes a fine x-hair at 3x. Subtensions come into play at about 6x. If you are hunting close, who needs subtensions at 3x and sub-100 yards? No one.

I am not a "big magnification" guy. I only have one 5-25×56, a Premier Heritage. The predecessor to Tangent Theta. I will put it up for glass comparison with any TT, ZCO or Hensoldt out there. It sits on a dedicated steel banging rig. A 14lb 10oz 25CM.
I have a March FX 4.5-28×52 on the way. It will probably go on my 6CM, which is mostly a steel rifle, but does go for a LOT of truck rides when scouting or out for work in case a coyote is stupid enough to make an appearance. It currently wears a TT315M, but when shooting at 1400+, I just start to run out of elevation with the 105 Hyb.

My two "long range elk rifles" (28 Nosler w. 195s and a new .300PRC I should have in my hands in a week or two hopefully) only have 20x max mag scopes.
28 Nosler has a S&B PMII 3-20×50 H2CMR (not an US)
The .300PRC will get a ZCO 420 4-20×50 MPCT3.
My two "long range deer/pronghorn" rifles have 20x max scopes on them too.
6.5SS has a S&B PMII 5-20x50 Ultra Short H2CMR
25SST has a ZCO 420 4-20×50 MPCT1

I think a high quality 3-15×50 is about as perfect as you could ask for in a hunting rifle. I would take a premium 3-15 over a mediocre 5-25 all day long.

Good luck with this one. I'm def happy with my bx6 3-18x50. Illuminated. Locking. Good eye relief. Moa hash. Light. Check a lot of boxes for me and running for 3 years and it has been reliable and durable for me. I use it nearly every weekend. Not sure it it's the "best" but it sure the heck is good enough

..for those with a lot less cash to spend I'd say a plain Jane ho-hum 4x12x50 Leupold with get you from 10-600 for fraction of the cost of those great scope listed...I've used one for years in the dark woods with no problem and also have whistled a few long range field shots..works just fine...

These are pretty old photos, but this is a FFP March F 3-24×52 @ 200 yds.
3, 10, 15, 24x.
You can see 3x is similar to a fine x. But would still work just fine for 10-100 yards on a deer.
20180429_111102.jpg

20180429_111046.jpg

20180429_111010.jpg

20180429_111031.jpg