Two outta Three

Buffalobob

Today was the coldest day of the year so far and it was supposed to snow last night so I thought I would take my new coyote call out and give it a whirl.

So I arrive at the fields at about 8:00 and get all of my coats on and sling the 17 Rem over my shoulder and trudge off through the little dusting of snow. About 300 yards later a crow flies up and lands in a tree about 100 yards away. I ponder the likelihood of me seeing a coyote to shoot at versus the crow in the tree. I conclude that this is some Yankee crow who has not heard of me nor my crowshooting gun so I decide it is my solemn duty to educate him and unsling the rifle. I kneel down there and take off a glove and get my elbow locked on my knee and ponder whether I have a round in the chamber. I decide I do and then ponder where the safety is on or off and decide to slide it off . All this time the crow is sitting there centered in the crosshairs blissfully ignorant. Finally, I put my finger inside the trigger guard and fire. The crow does the standard back flip and the wings fold up and down he plummets. I check him out and I have made a bad shot and ruined the meat so I leave him lay.

After about an hour of yipping and howling and walking around, I decide it is time to head back and once again a flock of Yankee crows fly up in front of me and land in a tree about 100 yards away. So I flop on my butt this time and find one that is clear and get my elbow locked and knock him out of the tree. The rest fly up in the air and circle around and I consider taking a shot at them on the wing but decide that these are really stupid crows and one of them will sooner or later land. Sure enough two of them land in a tree and one is way back in the branches and the other only has a few branches between him and me. I line up on the one that is cleaner but there is still a lot of limbs. Well it is cold sitting on the frozen ground so I decide to shoot anyway. Naturally the bullet doesn't make it through the limbs and the Yankee crows are now educated as to why it is not good to sit in a tree when I am out with that gun.

Two out of three is not too bad even though none of them were very difficult shots.

( I didn't want to insult anybody by posting this up under the longe range hunting section so I just put it down here)

[ QUOTE ]
( I didn't want to insult anybody by posting this up under the longe range hunting section so I just put it down here)

[/ QUOTE ]

Very thoughtful and considerate of you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I sure wish we could use a rifle on those winged rats in WI, but no such luck shotguns only.

Chris

Geeze bb, ya gotta get more head shots!!!!

Crow gumbo ain't all that bad. Nearly as good as Owl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Taking the spotter, LRF and camera to Salmon tomorrow. Hope to get some pics of those big bulls. I figure that knowing where they winter, a little chit chat with some locals and my fancy dance NRCS georeferenced aerial images I might be able to predict where to scout this summer.

Gonna watch Numbers tonight and see if I can get any hints on an algorithm that would be worth trying for that application.

I have algo pretty much worked out but am not quite sure how el nino or the fact that we drive on the wrong side of the road over here will affect the results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif One small error could mean a whole bunch of extra walkin'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

"I check him out and I have made a bad shot and ruined the meat so I leave him lay."

Man that same thing happens nearly every time I shoot a boar hog over about 80#. I am not sure of the cause, but it sure get frustrating after you hit one about 250 and upon inspection find it is a boar instead of a sow. For whatever reason it seems to hardly ever happen with the sows. However a couple of them have been ruined with close range shots from the .270 A.M. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Those crows are a hoot. We dropped a crow/owl fight tape in the player one weekend, and within about 3 minuutes had close to a hundered piling up in a tree out in the field. They figured out real quick that the owl wasn't worth sitting still for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy, you're forgettin the rotation of the earth. that's where your messin up. ole BB and myself will be doin a little scoutin next weekend and believe you me, we'll take the rotational forces into account!

Roy did you go by Radio Shack and get the radio transmitters to put on the two biggest ones?

We wouldn't want to be accused of shooting a puny one in the head. If we are just gonna shoot them in the head we will need some big heads because I am not that good of a shot to hit a little elk head.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very thoughtful and considerate of you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I sure wish we could use a rifle on those winged rats in WI, but no such luck shotguns only.

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris your kidding, right?

Coyboy
Sorry to disappoint, but according to the folks at the local DNR office, since there is a season on them in WI they are just like any other "game bird" (couldn't even type that with a staight face)and must be hunted with a shotgun.

Now that was the info I got when they first put a season on them so things might have changed, but if it has I haven't heard about it.

Chris

[ QUOTE ]
Coyboy
Sorry to disappoint, but according to the folks at the local DNR office, since there is a season on them in WI they are just like any other "game bird" (couldn't even type that with a staight face)and must be hunted with a shotgun.

Now that was the info I got when they first put a season on them so things might have changed, but if it has I haven't heard about it.

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Make it a challenge and use a slug gun.....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts