Twist Rate

Personally, I'd go 1:8 that way you'll have more than enough twist to handle the Berger 195 Elite Hunters, or any other bullets you choose to shoot.

Looking at a proof barrel for a 7ss build. Would an 8.44 twist barrel be too fast for 168-180 bergers? Thanks
That twist would work fine for even the 195's at 2000' and above. If you were shooting only 195's, I would go with the 8......Rich

Last edited:
There's a lot of factors that play into that, but I don't think I'd worry too much about an extra 1/2 inch of twist. Just personal opinion, others' opinions might be different.

Perfect. Pulled the trigger on a 24" 1:8.44 twist sendero light barrel. I live at 5000 ft and hunt from 2500-7000 ft so hope I won't have any issues. 1 component closer to my 7ss build. FYI I used the coupon code at evolved ballistics for -$100 and free shipping.
Code-EB100CF

There's a lot of factors that play into that, but I don't think I'd worry too much about an extra 1/2 inch of twist. Just personal opinion, others' opinions might be different.
I think it was in a 7mm-08 thread but you commented on twist rates and RPM gaines at distance. Which opened my eyes to how detailed and tailored this all can get.
What is the true purpose/advantage of a progressive twist barrel ?

I think it was in a 7mm-08 thread but you commented on twist rates and RPM gaines at distance. Which opened my eyes to how detailed and tailored this all can get.
Less initial pressure and insures that bullet is not LOSING rpm if the barrel is not true! Jury is out however?

Progressive twists are designed to help alleviate initial pressure spikes and increase velocity, by giving you lower pressures at the initial bullet travel with a slower twist. Then as the pressures build as the bullet is traveling, increasing the bullet's velocity, the twist rate also starts tightening up, increasing the bullet's RPM's in the bore, and as the bullet exits the muzzle it is now spinning fast enough to be stabilized.

I think it's a really cool concept, based on scientific principles, but I've never shot or owned one, so I cannot confirm or deny how well they work.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts