Twist rate

10point

I have a new 28 inch Kreiger barrel for a 270 WSM that will be delivered in about three months. What twist would you suggest to stabilize a 140 accubond for a deer and a 165 or 175 matrix bullet for elk?

I have a new 28 inch Kreiger barrel for a 270 WSM that will be delivered in about three months. What twist would you suggest to stabilize a 140 accubond for a deer and a 165 or 175 matrix bullet for elk?

The recommended twist to stabilize is 9 and 8 for 165 and 175 respectively. I have a 1:8 3-groove 30" Lilja on my .270 AI and am very pleased with it.

Use the custom search on the top right corner. There are plenty of threads about the Matrix bullets and .270 WSM.

Here's a link to a page on Lilja's website that has some useful twist rate info (be sure to scroll down the page to find the chart)

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Caliber and Twist Rates

Keep in my mind that to some degree, additional speed can stabilize a bullet in a slower twist barrel. For example, a .308 Win with a 1 in 10 twist would still probably struggle to stabilize a 220 gr. bullet, where a 300 RUM can do it all day long.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.