Twist question

Ksmirk

Ok fella's I'm building again! this one is going to be a 308 and I will be shooting 175SMK's pretty much exclusive out to 1K yeah I know there are better rounds but I have this thing with caliber restrictions, I have the choice of 1-10, 1-11, and 1-12 and while I'm pretty dang sure the 1-12 would not work I was wondering if I should just go with the tried and true 1-10 or go with a 1-11? there's the question get a 1-10 or 1-11 twist barrel. Later,

Kirk

I shoot the 175s out of my 12 twist .308 with no difficulties (in F-Class TR at 1,000 yards) at all, as do lots of other folks in Houston, Texas (before I moved to Vegas). The rifle and load works fine here at 2,200 ft altitude too.

If memory serves, the US Army is using an 11.25 or 11.5 twist in their M24s. I do not believe a 10 is required, but it will not hurt, especailly if you think you may go to teh 200s or want to shoot the 220s at some time in the future.

Were it my rifle, and I was not going to shoot anything heavier then the 175s, I would go with either a 1:11 or a 1:12.

JeffVN

Thanks for the imput! my 308 I have now that the barrel has given up :( it has a 1-14 twist and loved the 155SMK's and it would do ok to about 800 with the 168SMK's but not all the holes would be round! I'm thinkin' I might just go with the 1-11 and be different I would guess it should do fine up to around 190gr. but with the 308 I could not see a good reason why unless I wanted something subsonic. Later,

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.