Twist for 338/408 with SMK

lazylabs

I will be picking one of the big 338's...(AM, Snipe-tac, Baer, own) I was on the fence hoping for 375 bullets and now I am realizing 375 and even the "other" 338 bullets are dead with no real options. So setting the 408 up for the 300 SMK what would be the twist/length of choice? It's going to be a heavy/awkward gun anyway so a couple inches doesn't matter at this point. I know a 10 will be OK but why over cook the SMK at that point........make sense?

In all the .338-.408 rifles that I have worked with, the 10 twist seems to be fine. With the 300 SMK, you will find your best accuracy around the 3200 fps mark. Which is a comfortable load for the brass you have to work with. I have pushed them much faster, at the expense of the brass, but they always shoot best around the 3200 fps area.
I shoot the .338-.408 Imp, Baer's design, which is simialr to the other improved cases.
As for barrel length, I've had them from 28" -36", in my opinion, the 33" barrel seems to work well.
With the 10 tw, I don't think you're "over cooking" them at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.