Turrets Question

bbradford71

Hello All (Newbi Here)

I am considering putting turrets on my Leupold for longer range shooting. I understand what a turret is and how they work, what I do not understand is how they can be accurate. If I am shooting a 300WSM how can the turrets be accurate if someone else is shooting a 7MM. Different calibers are going to shoot differently as well as the ammo you choose. I know that this question might seem dumb to some but before I spend money I want to make sure that I will get what I am wan ting as well as get my monies worth.

Thanks in advance

bbradford71

Thanks,

I was under the impression that you zero in your riffle at lets say 100 yards and then you dial the turret to 400 yards and it dials in the proper number of clicks for the difference in elevation. A little more explanation is needed as I am new to long range shooting.

Thanks

So you must be talking about pre-calibrated turrets like the Leupold CDS, Kenton, or Huskemaw, which are marked in yards instead of an angular unit like MOA or mil.

In that case, you're right. Each turret is only good for one bullet at one speed at one altitude at one temperature at one angle in one rifle. Your turret marked for a 300WSM will be wildly inaccurate on a 7mmMag, or anything else for that matter. You have to give the turret maker (Leupold, Kenton, Huskemaw, whoever) information before they make your turret. That information might be just load data or it might be actual tested dope. Of course if you give them tested dope, it'll be a more accurate turret than just giving them muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficient.

That's why I don't own any of the pre-calibrated turrets. I understand their value, but their limitations turn me off to them. I'll stick with a mil or MOA marked turret and verified ballistic tables.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.