Question on Drop compensating Turrets?

hillajam

How does a custom drop compensating turret work if you change the power on your scope, say from 20x to 8x?

Does it stay the same or do you have to have the scope on the same setting when you use it. I don't have one yet because I don't have the scope I want yet.

Just curious.

How does a custom drop compensating turret work if you change the power on your scope, say from 20x to 8x?

Does it stay the same or do you have to have the scope on the same setting when you use it. I don't have one yet because I don't have the scope I want yet.

Just curious.
James,,,
Ditto as Bailey said...after all, all you are doing is turning the elevation knob which should work on any power. All the BDC knob does is replace the stock knob with one that is specially marked with new increments such as 100,150,200 etc. ( These are set up for specific bullets and loads.) And you are still adjusting minutes up, only looking at the yardage format rather than counting clicks...I have had several made by Kenton Industries and they do work, as evidenced by the Leupold M3 knobs ( Leupold Mark 4 3.5x10 Long Range M3

The downside is that they are calibrated for a specific load ...but with that load they are fast as far as adjustment 30-338

Focal plane and reticle

If you are worried about the affect of different power ranges, you may be thinking of drop compensating custom reticles. These would be calibrated for a specific power level unless it is in a very high $$ First focal plane scope (I think it is the first focal plane, but it could be second focal plane -- I get the two mixed up).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts