Tuning a Load?

Thanks for the links, they look to be very informative, and exactly what I was looking for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks,

edge.

WOW! alot of opinions and a little tiff to boot. I more than likely don't have the experiance of many here on this forum but I'll drop a little input of my knowledge. You asked for a 1 moa senerio. In my experiance of the distance reloading game such as loading for a friend and you can only get together once in a while, which I have do alot of, falls down to this.
Think practicial choose 1-3 powders I usuall only use 2. If this is a common load it usualy can be found easily. something that gets close to filling up the case, produces a tolerable pressure and produces plenty of velocity.
Use the best brass that you can and prepare it the best you can.
Now you done that and you have a 1 inch group. assmuing this group is in a circuliar shape, as opposed to in a line, I would go with this load the next thing I would do is fiddle with the seating depth start at one end or the other, I prefer to start on or near the lands and start working it deeperin the case a little at a time.
The last thing I do is piddle with the primer selection although I have come to see over the years that remington primers are as consistant as I have found." hopefully I won't be attacked" I do not like federal primers especially the 215 unless you are trying to lite wet saw dust. I gennerally load for cartridges of the norm like 300wm or wby. I have loaded bigger but found the remington 9 1/2 M work more consistant. with most slow powders even AA8700 and retumbo but I have not loaded any BMG powder so I can' t make a comment. I use alot of reloader 22 and hodgen H-1000 and the remingtons always end up the best for me.
One last tip. If you have or can get a wilson seater and an arbor press you can load up several at full length and just push them down a little as you go.
I hope this helps you never know when an idea jars a better one loose.

Have fun with your load developing.

Rh

How can any of you disagree with Bountyhunter....You like me will soon learn that he is an expert of the Highest order in this subject as well as the suitablity of the M-700 action to be used as basis to build a 338 Laupa and my favorite is when stated that the Lawton 7500 action could be used with rounds based off of the 408 Chey Tac case,even thuo the smith's that build rifles useing the 408 case say this can not be done to thier knowledge.............

Thanks, I'm glad the thread is not dead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IMO, most newbies would be helped with a step by step procedure. While I agree that there will never be close to 100% agreement on the order of progression in absolute terms, I bet that 90% could agree on the first 80% of improvement.

Also IMO, most people will benefit from the first 80% in whatever this group comes to a consensus on, and very few are going to fight over the rest.

edge.

Edge, don't get me wrong when I say this but since you are talking about a custom LR rifle I would assume that whoever had the rifle build would of selected a barrel twist,
chamber,taken magazine length into consideration on throating, may of send along acouple empty case with bullets he wanted to use and most important had a few conversation with the gunsmith about this rifle and if not an odd caliber what loads did some of his past customers have good luck with. I would think the owner of this rifle would of done alittle homework on what he had build.

I picked up my new elk rig 300Wby yesterday from the gunsmith, headspace was set on the shoulders not alot of freebore like most Wby longer Wyatt magazine box etc. Gunsmith gave me a new powder and some bullets that would work besides what he knew I wanted to use. I ordered a set of shoulder bumping dies from Neil Jones for the 300Wby and some different size busing so I can play with neck tension,seating depth these are arbor dies so I can load at the range for my testing. I'll do some testing during barrel break in as not to waste the barrel. I select powder based on load density and that works best for me before I got the new rifle I picked up 100 cases and played around with some powders that I want to try and looked at load density to base of bullet etc so again alot of homework done before rifle is shot.

Guy walks into a well known BR gunsmith and ask can he build a rifle to shoot in the .0's gunsmith ask can you shoot in the .0's. When you get to looking at LR groups and what defines those groups how much is rifle or shooter. I would assume if you have to ask so many questions and if this doesn't work let's go to plan B if it doesn't shoot better than 1" after you have a custom rifle build.

I guess we can all assume something.

I guess that my response is to ask you a couple of questions.

Do you normally find that your very first loads are the best that your rifle can produce, OR do you find that after experimenting that you find something better?

If your answer is that your first best guess is ALWAYS the best load that the rifle can shoot, then please tell me your secret.

We have our best guess starting load, my reason for this thread is to ask the best route to take to find the best load, assuming the first load is not 1/4 MOA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Who knows, perhaps the first best guess will be THE LOAD, but I suspect that even if the components are the perfect choice there will still be some tweaking.

edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.