Tubb speed lock firing pin

jcann

I'm a bit of a tight wad and have been debating getting one of these for my Winchester M70. Has anyone had any experience with this firing pin? I read on a different forum of light primer strikes and miss fires. If it does reduce lock time I thought it might be worth it but if it causes problems I'll stay with the original pin and spring.

I have one on my long range rifle. IT SUCKS! Out of 20 shots 3 did not go off. A little nerv racking unlocking the bolt with a struck primer that might ignite 110 gr of rl 25. I am searching for my original to put it back in. DO NOT DO IT, WASTE OF TIME, MONEY, UN SAFE! Primers were new Win Mag rifle primers in a 338-378 weatherby

I have one on my long range rifle. IT SUCKS! Out of 20 shots 3 did not go off. A little nerv racking unlocking the bolt with a struck primer that might ignite 110 gr of rl 25. I am searching for my original to put it back in. DO NOT DO IT, WASTE OF TIME, MONEY, UN SAFE! Primers were new Win Mag rifle primers in a 338-378 weatherby

Idaho elk hunter,
Thanks, this is basically what I read on accurate shooter as well.

I have a Tubbs speedlock kit on a Winchester, a Rem. 700, and a Savage 112. Really helped the locktime on the Winchester. Helped the Remington as well, but created a couple other issues that I still have not solved. The Savage was a waste of time. Maybe a little faster, but also was getting firing pin bounce just like the Remington. Also had the hardend tip of the firing pin come apart on either the Savage or the Remington (can't remember).

My Savage and the Remington were titanium firing pins, the Winchester was aluminum with a hard tip like the others. Don't think Tubbs does titanium anymore. There is another brand out there, that I think is better. Can't remember the name brand. Then there is the outfit that Holland sells as well.
gary

I have purchased a Speedlock firing pin for a Mauser 98 but have never been able to get it fit properly. The geometry of the firing pin seems to be alot different than the original military pin.

I have purchased a Speedlock firing pin for a Mauser 98 but have never been able to get it fit properly. The geometry of the firing pin seems to be alot different than the original military pin.

getting the firing pin protrusion setup right is critical with them, plus I think the springs are a little to stiff for what they have to do.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts