TSA approved gun case recommendations

I just landed yesterday and picked up my gun. TSA CHECKED IT AND LOCKED IT THE. TOLD ME I COULD LEAVE. Found this when I got it pistol and knife still inside. Lol
Was that in all location of where the locks were located? There had to be at lease 2 locks. I would be call the ATF or local Police about that. Where you landed at should have been a ATF station there.

Last edited:
I don't see the need for tape on the case. You probable have to cut it open at some point in time than just at the location your going to hunt at. I think somebody was worry about getting the case wet and firearm wet.

Was that in all location of where the locks were located? There had to be at lease 2 locks. I would be call the ATF or local Police about that. Where you landed at should have been a ATF station there.
Yikes, Have to ask.....what do mean had to be at least two locks? I have never done that and fly with handguns a couple times a year. I could not find my normal tiny suitcase lock about 3/4" tall or I would have used that. One time only they put two crazy strong zip ties on the case. I now pack some dykes in my luggage so I can check my pistol if they zip tie it. I never leave the luggage person without verifying the gun is in the case. What would I call ATF or the local Police for?

Most pistol case I've seen have two location for locks. I wouldn't fly into Mexico-North aka Calif like that. Unless you have it locked up. If you are traveling down the road in Mexico-North that pistol can't be in the cab of the car or pickup.

Most pistol case I've seen have two location for locks. I wouldn't fly into Mexico-North aka Calif like that. Unless you have it locked up. If you are traveling down the road in Mexico-North that pistol can't be in the cab of the car or pickup.
Hmmm. Will look farther into that info thanks.

just got back from Kona Had a Pelican with two trap guns in it and had four locks on it . Two of the locks were like the one in Reelamin's photo. Kind of funny , when I checked the case in at the counter and put the singed form in the case I put the locks on and off it went . A few minutes latter TSA wanted the key to look inside and when I picked it up in Kona it was not locked right and I said something to the agent and she just said " I can't do anything about it. I'm glad I had 4 locks on instead of 2 like I used to do. The new rule is all lockable holes have a lock installed. The .........TSA agents can make your life miserable if the want to and once they got your number you could get harassed at the drop of a hat , Iv'e seen it happen to two of my friends and one quit going with us . This was my 12th trip flying with a firearm on two different air lines . You have to remember that TSA doesn't work for Alaska air lines or any other airline . I may be wrong ,but I think they work for sleepy Joe . Just my .02 worth and they don't give a hoot about you.

I use these (Amazon) on my rifle case.. These have fairly thick shanks and have proven to be quite durable I did have my locks cut off several years ago, and my rifle case arrived wrapped in TSA labeled tape.

Note: Rear shooting bags have been THE cause of TSA opening/inspecting my bags, whether packed in the rifle case, checked luggage, or carry-on. The fill materials and quantity seems to show up on the x-ray with a similar appearance to explosives. Now I put labeled shooting bags in the plastic tray, separately when going through the line. No issues.

SnapSafe TSA Approved PadLocks 2 Pack, 76020 - All Metal 4 Digit Combination Locks with a Thick Shackle, Inspection Indicator, & Easy to Read Dials-Travel Lock for Hard Case Luggage/Gun Case/Backpacks
SnapSafe TSA Approved PadLocks 2 Pack, 76020 -…
$31.99
1647342187773.jpeg

Traveling by air to hunt this spring in SD.
Anyone have suggestions on approved gun cases to look for purchasing. Hadn't traveled with gun flying in 10 years. Don't need any surprises at airport. Seems TSA/airports vary in hunter treatment in the past, hope that's changed for the better.
I have numerous gun cases 2 eapelican, SKB
Tuffpak 1050 Gun Case, I've used the tuffpak for three trips to Africa. Gun, soft case and clothing. TuffPak takes the abuse. I highly recommend it.

I just landed yesterday and picked up my gun. TSA CHECKED IT AND LOCKED IT THEN TOLD ME I COULD LEAVE. Found this when I got it pistol and knife still inside. Lol
TSA agent must have already had pistol and knife like yours...... Realize not everyone has the flexibility, but that's one of many reasons I never fly commercial any more. Only fly private or make a road trip out of it in motor coach.

TSA agent must have already had pistol and knife like yours...... Realize not everyone has the flexibility, but that's one of many reasons I never fly commercial any more. Only fly private or make a road trip out of it in motor coach.
We had to watch him do everything. The airline person was with me and wouldn't leave I asked why.

She told me we had no idea how much stuff these people steal. We did a investigation via video and they steal things from bags like a street criminal. That was from the airline person.