Trying to decide on caliber

MI.264 is right. Search on Youtube for Randy Newberg and listen to his advise on rifle choice. Very spot on from a very fine rifleman. I use 7mm RM across the board with a Muzzlebreaksandmore.com brake and it is a joy to shoot and very comfortable at 900 yards with it.

I have a 6.5prc for antelope and deer, next is to get an elk specific rifle. Looking at 300wsm, 280ai, or 7saum?? Thoughts?
Given the current reloading supply dilemma, and based on the notices I've gotten as to availability of bullets from retailers, I would go with a .30 cal. With that in mind, plus the history of .30 cal. bullets on Elk etc. the 300 WSM would be my choice.

I have a 6.5prc for antelope and deer, next is to get an elk specific rifle. Looking at 300wsm, 280ai, or 7saum?? Thoughts?
I'm looking at a complete pression manufactured gun from factory in .300 win.mag with carbon fiber wrapped 26" barrel and mussel break right now for $3k doesn't include optic.

A good rule of thumb is to select a cartridge that will deliver 1500 Ft LBS (for elk, moose, big bears, etc...) at your maximum effective range. As the yardage increases cartridge choices will naturally narrow. As energy increases so will recoil which may then narrow your choices as maximum effective range accuracy is reduced.

If you hunt in your home state (OR), you probably won't be shooting at ultra long distances. In that case, you can afford to think outside the box.

The 9.3X62 is way outside the box. Designed in Mauser country before WWI, it is hardly "fashionable," but it has a long history on the African continent.

It only has about 300 yard effective range, and commercial cartridges are nearly impossible to find in the US. But given the fact that it kicks like a mule, you don't need many cases -- you won't be shooting this one off a bench for fun, and even when taking it hunting, you'll likely only shoot 2-3 cartridges before deciding you've had it for the day. That'll sharpen your shooting.

The best part is, when you're sitting around a wood stove talking rifles with your buddies and you mention the 9.3X62, no one will have a comment. Blank stares all around. They will never have heard of it before -- that's how rare it is in US hunting camps. You can just tell them about its long history in Africa, and watch their envious looks. That beats flat-shooting, knock-em-down hitting power at 900 yards any time.

Would you rather have accurate shots out to the far ridge, or bragging rights?

My last 6x7 bull was with a muzzleloader, so compared to that, any of your choices will be fine. :)

My last build was a relatively short barrel, suppressed .300 WM. Yeah, I lost a bit of velocity, and it might not be perfectly efficient, but it's easy to carry in the hills, has so little recoil it's laughable, isn't loud, and groups around .3" at 100. I don't really intend on shooting game much past 600 yards, but I hit steel out to 1000. It's easy to load for and has two elk and three mulies to its name so far. Bullet selection in .308 is outstanding and finding brass is easy.

Just pick something you understand, something you shoot well, and have fun with it.

OMG! The OP asks thoughts on three chambering from two calibers - .28 cal (.280 AI and 7MM SAUM) or .30 cal (.300 WSM). I thought the OP's request was pretty straightforward.

Bang your head.gif

When I grew up in the shooting/hunting world there were only a handful of popular calibers. There were a few varmint cartridges like the .22 Hornet, and the "king" 220 Swift (the 22/250 was a wildcat), the next cartridge for deer (and for the wife) was the .257 Roberts. Above that was the .270 Winchester which was good for anything up to and including elk, then the very popular 30/06 which was good for anything...except if you wanted to shoot brown bear you might want the 300 H&H Mag. The .375 H&H Mag was the go-to gun for Africa. That was about it. And, believe it or not, they all worked as advertised. But I used to read everything I could get my hands on and knew for an absolute certainty that if I ever could afford a .300 Weatherby Magnum I would REALLY be ready for anything. Finally I acquired one, began reloading and used it for jackrabbits, coyotes, deer, antelope, elk, moose, caribou and a black bear in Alaska. One caliber did everything. ThenI kept reading and realized that I had missed out on so many other "necessary" calibers so now I reload for about a dozen calibers. No, I haven't done anything more with more calibers, just have satisfied many itches along the way. So what? Simply that almost everything can work. I am now 85 so my shooting history goes back a long way.

I'm seeing a lot of pseudo exotic choices being tossed out as suggestions. In view of the current economy and general logistics state of affairs globally you may wish to consider a well established, popular (common) cartridge choice. Be that a 45-70 for deep salal in the cedars of the Cascades west slope, or a 30-06 for the lodge pole pines in the Central Rockys. Food for thought.