Need some advise on a caliber for Elk hunt

I've been invited to go on a elk hunt and need some advise on what gun I should bring or buy a different one. I have a 270 weatherby and hand load my rounds. I load 140gr Hornady SST and getting around 3300fps with them. Is that enough bullet or caliber for Elk ? Or should I get a different gun/Caliber? This is my first time elk hunting and know you may have to shoot at a good distance. I've shot this round to 960yds with good accuracy and comfortable doing it. Thanks for any tips
A 270 Weatherby will work just fine. You might want to go with a Nosler Partition or maybe a Barnes tipped X bullet, and a weight of around 150 grains just for the mass, but your rifle will work fine. There are lots of guys who have killed elk just fine with the .270 Winchester cartridge.

@greenejc I have also had great luck with the 115 BT in my 25-06, the 120 BT and 150 BT in 7mm-08 and 280 AI, the 168 BT in 308 and the 180 BT in my 300 win mag. All have been extremely accurate and done an excellent job on antelope, deer, bear and hogs. I have turned the little 115 inside out a time or two shooting game under 100 yds but as mentioned earlier cup and core at 3150+ fps don't hold together so well.

@greenejc I have also had great luck with the 115 BT in my 25-06, the 120 BT and 150 BT in 7mm-08 and 280 AI, the 168 BT in 308 and the 180 BT in my 300 win mag. All have been extremely accurate and done an excellent job on antelope, deer, bear and hogs. I have turned the little 115 inside out a time or two shooting game under 100 yds but as mentioned earlier cup and core at 3150+ fps don't hold together so well.
I wish they still made the 225 gr. BT in .358 so I could load it in my .35 Whelen. I found it to have deep penetration and good accuracy from my CDL with the 1 in 16 twist, and it didn't break the bank like the Accubonds do. I load the 180 in .308, .300Wm and 30-06. Its extremely accurate in all of them.

Another bullet that works really well is the Speer HotCor and the Speer Boat tail. The HotCor is made by putting molten lead into the jacket and so it tends to heat bond to the jacket. Also, like the Sierra ProHunter, it is made with a heavier jacket so it doesn't have much of a problem with core separation. The Speer 180 grain BT is inexpensive and is great for both practice and medium game. It will work for elk, too, but I like either the HotCor, the Nosler BT, or the Sierra ProHunter for elk in a 30 cal. out to about 500 yards, because of the heavier jacket.

I have 2 270 Weatherby barrels, a 9" and 10" twist and they both love 150g ABLR or 150g Partitions.
I know plenty use them, but a SST is not a bullet I would use.
I am actually looking again at Barnes bullets, have 165g TTSX for my 300 RUM and I am impressed with the accuracy. When I first tried Barnes TSX I was less than disappointed and gave them away…but I have a re-newed interest in them.
A TTSX would be an awesome bullet for Elk.

Cheers.

Beware, the One Gun, One load guy that,.. KNOWS how to, use IT ! And the OP, sounds like, he Knows, his "Chit" !
The .270 Weatherby with, YOUR Load, will SLAY an Elk, out to about, 700 to 750 Yards, IF hit, in the "Boiler Room" !
I shoot, a .270 WSM with, 140 grain, Classic Hunter Bergers ( .528 BC ) going, 3,185 FPS and feel comfortable to, 650-700 yards, Max. ( If, Calm Wind ).
BUT,.. I will Hunt hard, to try to get,.. a lot,.. CLOSER !

I have NO reason to, impress anybody with, trying to make, a LONG Shot and possibly, cripple / lose an Elk,.. due to, a BAD Wind, "Call" !
PS; the Wind is ALWAYS Blowing,.. in Idaho and a 5 to 10 MPH Wind, IS,.. a Calm Day !
MUCH Prefer, being up close and Personal as I like, the SURE thing,.. Kill !
Agree, wind always blows where the elk play. I much prefer the 168 gr Accubond when

I agree with Idaho Lefty. A 300 WM is nice and I use 180 Nosler E-Tip or Barns 180 TSX. Using this combination, I have one shot kills on elk. I also seen a hunting partner with a 270 shoot a bull elk and use 4 shots to bring the bull down because shot placement was not the best. I also seen a person with a 300 WM and 150 grain accubond shooting 4 shots on a elk. Therefore, shot placement is paramount no matter what bullet you are using. Shoot at difference distance so you know what you and your rifle are capable to shoot. I have always used an 180 grain bullet on elk and I also shoot at the range a lot to assure I can shoot straight at what I aim at. I also know what distances I can shoot and know that I can make that shot. In other words, get comfortable with your rifle and the distances you can shoot.

I agree with Idaho Lefty. I use a 300 WM with a 180 grain Nosler E-Tip or Barns 180 TSX. I have 1 shot kills on elk using this combination. I have also seen 4 shots kills on elk with a 300 WM using a 150 grain Nosler accubond and a 270 rifle using 4 shots but not sure of the bullet he was using. What I know is that it is paramount to have a good shoot placement on an elk. Therefore, I shoot my rifle a lot and know what distances I can shoot accurate at. Very important to know your rifle and yourself on what your can do with the rifle.

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight! Elk don't always pose broadside and they move around a lot. 270 Roy is fine but use a mono or bonded bullet so you can penetrate the vitals from most any angle.