Need some help with an up coming elk hunt

pburton

Ok here is the story. I have only been elk hunting 3 times in my life. I shot a bull about 6 years ago. I live in Nevada and have been putting in for bull elk tags for 14 years. I finally drew a bull tag. I have been hunting for 30+ years and have shot numerous deer. But this tag means a lot to me. The problem is that I have a custom rifle being built. It is a Rem 700 action and will be chambered in 300 win mag. This is a great round for elk, but it will not be finished until about two weeks prior to my elk season starting. This is seriously concerning me. I am not sure I will have the barrel broke in and a load developed in that time frame. If I could get to the range every day it might happen. But I have to work and have only maybe two days to get this accomplished. I don't see it happening.

So in the mean time I have two other rifles. But I am not sure that they are elk worthy. This is my question. I have a factory Tikka .270 wsm that shoots a little less than MOA. I have a great load with 150gr Partition that runs right at 3100 fps. The other rifle that I have is a 6.5x284 that runs 140gr Accubonds at 3/4 MOA pretty consistently.

I am not sure what to do. Should struggle to find a decent load for the 300 or should I go with what I know shoots well with the 270wsm or 6.5x284?

What would you do with a tag that you know you will not get for the next 10 years plus?

Thanks for any input!

If I were in your shoes I think I would use the 270 WSM and keep my shots within reason. Be prepared to fire follow up shots.

I know people who have taken Elk with the .270 Win. I agree that the 300 Win Mag is a great Elk round.

I would decide on max distance you would reasonably need to shoot. Hopefully that is within the capabilities of the 270 WSM or 6.5x284. Then use the one you have the most confidence in.

While waiting on that custom, I would ask the builder for advice on factory ammo that might be expected to shoot well from the new custom. You may be pleasantly surprised at the results from some quality ammo from Nosler or such. Then take is as the backup or numero uno if it shoots to expectations with factory loads.

In the end, all will do it easily, just depends on how far you need to shoot.

Thanks for the responses.

My thoughts were to use the 270wsm and keep my range under 500 yards. I have been shooting that rifle out to that range consistently for the last couple years. That Tikka has been my good luck charm. Every time I have taken it out I have come home with a full cooler. I just wasn't sure about elk. I hope the 300 is done a little early and then I won't have as much concern. My gunsmith said that it might be but did not want to guarantee it. If he can give me one more week I can get the barrel broke in and a decent load developed... But I obviously don't want him to rush.

Thanks for the responses.

My thoughts were to use the 270wsm and keep my range under 500 yards. I have been shooting that rifle out to that range consistently for the last couple years. That Tikka has been my good luck charm. Every time I have taken it out I have come home with a full cooler. I just wasn't sure about elk. I hope the 300 is done a little early and then I won't have as much concern. My gunsmith said that it might be but did not want to guarantee it. If he can give me one more week I can get the barrel broke in and a decent load developed... But I obviously don't want him to rush.

Check the velocity and energy on the bullet you're using at the 500 yd maximum range. My Elk expert friends like to plan on 1500 ft-lbs and 2000 fps.

According to the program that I have at 500 yards this bullet is still traveling at 2300 ft/sec and has 1800 ft/lbs of energy. So I should be good.

I can't think of a big game cartridge that ain't "elk worthy" as long as you can put a bullet where it's gotta go. Nothing living remains in that condition for long sans its heart/lungs.

Not all the long ago the new world record Yukon moose, largest of the 3 North American species, was killed with a .303 British.

It ain't what you're shooting. It's all about how well you can shoot what you're shooting.

Ask me & I'd go with the .280 Rem as the single best cartridge for all North American big game. The .308 Win will git er dun, too, in a short action.

I've shot more than a few big rifles. They have two characteristics that don't work for me: they're heavy, and they kick the heck outta me. If I'm gonna get beat up, I wanna get paid for it.

My general theory centers around comfort level or confidence. To me it is difficult to get comfortable with a new gun in a few weeks. Of the other two options, there isn't much difference between them and either one will lower the boom on an elk. Pick the one you love and bring home an elk. That's the way I see it.

Well some good news this morning. My smith called this morning and said the only thing he has left is Cerakote, which should be done by Tuesday. So hopefully next weekend I can spend two full days breaking in the barrel and load development. That gives me two more weekends to really get the feel for this rifle. I plan to still take my 270wsm but hopefully as a back up.

Picked up my 300wm yesterday. Spent most of the day at the range doing barrel brake in and getting the initial scope adjustments made. I loaded up some rounds this morning and will be heading back to the range this afternoon. But so far so good. Here is couple pictures of the final product....

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 147
Thanks. The bolt is a PTG with their flute pattern. The stock is a HS Precision that was custom painted by my smith. His name is John Bredderman. He has a shop in Susanville, CA.

Right now the only 30 cal bullets that I have are 180gr Accubonds and 165gr TTSX. So I am hoping that the Accubonds will shoot pretty well. I have not had a chance to load any up yet. I have H1000 and IMR 7828ssc. Also have some cci 250, Rem 9.5m, and WLRM primers. I am sure I can come up with something that shoots pretty well. So far factory ammo with partitians are shooting under an inch out to 300 yards and this during barrel break in.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.