Trueing a 700 action cost?

I saw couple stainless 700 actions with triggers at the gun shopnin Idaho falls ID. For $469.00 doubt they were trued etc. But sure beats the extra hassle if old barrel removal or seems like it would be.

Removing most Rem. 700 barrels takes less than 5 minutes and 5 minutes is removing it from the stock. If it's a barreled action it's 2-3 minutes. If you use a slide in action wrench it could be a minute or so less even. The vast majority of the new Remingtons will come apart with a side entry aluminum action wrench and a cheater bar.

Intersting.

If the stock 700 threads are not true then does not matter how true the chamber is.

We have costs from $250-360. If it is a magnum then same crappy riveted extractor, no side bolt release, no extended bolt knob, no fluted bolt. Now last 3 are not required but many get them

So if you can sell the stock receiver for $450 that puts your true costs at $700 to $810. When done it is worth $550 if sold.

Buy the custom and be happier in the long run.

If you want custom machine work done right then be prepared to pay!! Nothing is cheap about precision machine work. It makes me laugh when guys want custom guns for Walmart gun prices.
Personally I think 250 is cheap considering the lathe that is doing the work might cost more than some houses!!

I personally never seen a lathe that is used in a shop or someone's garage cost more than 100,000.00 or better yet average house in Utah about 250 to 300,000.00. Really price of a house. Some one got ripped off. Now I'm not downing gun smiths or what people want to charge. But I think some statements are ridiculous. Probably all the tool in the shop might cost in the 150,000.00 range and I would think that would be on the high end. Now for 250 dollars to true an action yes I think that is cheap or a really good deal depending on the trueness of the work. There is a series of youtube videos about truing the REM 700 action. It's what I would expect to have done with holding the tolerance to the 1/10,000. I also think a barrel does a whole lot for the gun as well. Looks at some of the savages with new barrels installed. I have a friend that own a trued 308 with a Bartlein 5r barrel. His 308 will shoot 5 rounds of the grey box cheap whichester hunting rounds into a dime size hole. He does not reload and just usually sport shoots. But that's the quality of good smithing and good barrel along with everything else, trigger, bedding, stock, etc., etc. He has about 1800 tied up in the gun minus the optics. But it can shoot cheap ammo like hand loads.

I personally never seen a lathe that is used in a shop or someone's garage cost more than 100,000.00 or better yet average house in Utah about 250 to 300,000.00. Really price of a house. Some one got ripped off. Now I'm not downing gun smiths or what people want to charge. But I think some statements are ridiculous. Probably all the tool in the shop might cost in the 150,000.00 range and I would think that would be on the high end. Now for 250 dollars to true an action yes I think that is cheap or a really good deal depending on the trueness of the work. There is a series of youtube videos about truing the REM 700 action. It's what I would expect to have done with holding the tolerance to the 1/10,000. I also think a barrel does a whole lot for the gun as well. Looks at some of the savages with new barrels installed. I have a friend that own a trued 308 with a Bartlein 5r barrel. His 308 will shoot 5 rounds of the grey box cheap whichester hunting rounds into a dime size hole. He does not reload and just usually sport shoots. But that's the quality of good smithing and good barrel along with everything else, trigger, bedding, stock, etc., etc. He has about 1800 tied up in the gun minus the optics. But it can shoot cheap ammo like hand loads.

We have many machines in the 300-500k range, a few approaching 1m, and our tooling far surpasses 1m.

That may be an exaggerated statement for a gun shop but not irrelevant to shops in general. Nevertheless i think we can all agree a good smith is worth the money.

I made a part for a neighbor tonight.
I think I can hold 0.001", but I am not as good at measuring inside diameters as outside diameters.

Attachments

• ALuminum bushing for Pepper's mill to adapt mortice cutter 1-21-2016.jpg
    ALuminum bushing for Pepper's mill to adapt mortice cutter 1-21-2016.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 74

Come to my shop you will see equipment that costs more than homes!!

I would love to see a picture of gunsmith equipment that costs more than a house? I can't fathom any repair on a firearm excluding a scope that would need a piece of equipment that costs that much.

Are you gunsmithing or manufacturing?

So I may have to recall the statement about the home price. I do remember a friend of mine working in Va. that works in a highly precision manufacturing business which makes bearing for aircrafts. They do have some machines (CNC style) that run up in the 100's of thousands of dollars. But its really no gun smith shop either and this is specialized equipt. This equiptment is highly specific and holds tolerences to something in the range of .00001 or better. He went to Germany I think for 3 months to learn how to operate and work on the equiptment. I believer he was telling me the tool they use is like what most would consider R&D type grade of tools. Any ways.

Yep!

So I may have to recall the statement about the home price.

No need, most of us understands what you mean. This reminds me of my friend's favorite saying, "I can shoot it all day long", it literally drives me nuts when he says that, but I know what he means and is just that ... a saying ... a saying need not to be taken out of context. :)

We have many machines in the 300-500k range, a few approaching 1m, and our tooling far surpasses 1m.

That may be an exaggerated statement for a gun shop but not irrelevant to shops in general. Nevertheless i think we can all agree a good smith is worth the money.

in 1990, I bought 12 Okuma Kadets for $325K a piece untooled, but with chucks and cylinders (SP). They had the tail stock and upper and lower turrets. After tooling, I had about $440K in each machine. In 1995 I bought six much larger lathes at about $600K a piece untooled. Same basic configuration on three of them, and the others were simply chuckers with some options. Ready to run was close to $800K. The cheapest machine center I've ever bought was $350K untooled. Had $500K in each machine (Monarchs). On the same buy I bought 8 Devliegs and two SIP's. The Devliegs ran $560K a piece, and the SIP was $760K. One SIP had no tooling bought for it and was kept in a lab for precision measurements. The other went to the tool room, and sat alongside four others. I had roughly $1.3 million in each Devlieg tooled up, but still on the skid plate. Later I bought five more Devlieg jig mills, plus one K Model for a tic under a million a piece untooled. Keep in mind these are 1985 dollars!

In 2000 I bought four G&L MM2300 machine centers in a turn key deal. Roughly $1.5 million a piece. Bought two G&L RAM 630's at $660K a piece. Could have bought cheaper stuff, but also would be buying into somebody's poison.

Then you get to buy spare parts! Buy a hundred ball screws for lathes sometime. Two duplex bearing sets for the G&L MM2300 spindle will hit you for over $10K!
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.