Trued actions vs fancy actions

Hi. I'm trying to get my 375 rum done but I'm a bit short dollar wise for an action. What are people's opinions of a re wrorked factory Remington action? will they produce the same accuracy as a custom action providing the gunsmith does it the correct way?

cheers
Lucas
Answer to your question is YES provided the gunsmith does his job.

A 700 action can be very accurate, but can need several fixes.

You'll need it blueprinted and possibly the firing pin hole bushed to prevent cratering. Also you may need the bolt handle repositioned to insure primary extraction.

I've had to do some or all on 700 actions in the past, so I would not use another.

I was also trying to make that decision. From what I have learned a 700 action is 400ish and 400.00 to true. The custom is ready to go out of the box for $1000ish. You will need a trigger though. I have decided to spend the extra $$ on this one.

I've had unworked 700 actions shoot great and one of my best shooting rifles is a tried 700. But after getting into the custom game I'll never go back. The resale, the confidence, the feel, looks and just peace of mind all make it a good reason to go custom.

kelbly atlas tac, zermatt origin, tenacity, are all great and the new Mac bros steel action ischeaper then a 700

You can get a very good action just by doing the minimum to it if all is true from the factory.
All of my comp guns started out as either Rem 700 VSSF II's or Sendero's, as these stainless actions are very good right out of the box.
The VSSF II's both needed more work than the later bought Sendero's, in fact the actions were within .001" on spec to the centreline, the short action VSSF II's had .004" and .005" off the centreline and all surfaces, internal and external needed to be blueprinted.
All of my Comp guns are built as switch barrels and this is what I recommend, whether they are for hunting or comp.
I really like my switch barrels on blueprinted Win Midel 70 actions as well, lightweight and in 3 different cals they are very versatile.

Anyway, I don't think you need a custom action to get a great accurate rifle if the work is done correctly on a factory action.

Cheers.

Any action can be accurate if all the surfaces are true to the bore centerline.

Once the action is closed, if it is square and true the rest is up to the barrel, chamber, Load and the shooter.

The quality of the machining of an action is only one part of the accuracy, and yes the remington can be as accurate as any other action. The only difference is in some of the features offered by custom actions and the price.

J E CUSTOM

It all depends on your ultimate design criteria. Customs will hold value better. Cost of "blueprinting" a 700 action is dependant on your definition of blueprinting or the level of action work done. Sleeving the bolt, bushing the firing pin, re-cutting all action contact surfaces, and retiming primary extraction gets expensive. These are far different than simply squaring an action face and lapping the lugs. Personally, if I didn't already have a donor action and wanted more than to true the face and lap lugs, it would be custom every time. It's cheaper and I believe you get a better action right out of the gate.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.