Trouble with scope mount.need help

Boman

I recently mounted a Leupold scope on a new Nosler rifle. For the first time I used Leopold dual dove tail rings. I had the rings lapped. Now my problem is, I'm way off on elevation and windage. I bottomed out both trying to fix... so my question is can I fix this or do I need to buy Burris Signature rings? I have done some searching and have found that some use shims. But my question is does that hold tight and reliable? Some say to use foil or card stock? Have any of you done this? Is there anything else I can do besides starting over with different setup? The reason I went this route is the scope is short and the action is long and didn't want the added weight of a pic setup

I am not really sure about using card stock to shim. It might work as a temporary fix to try to find the thickness you would need. After determining what thickness , then I would go with brass shim, or some type of metal. The card shim would probably deteriorate if it gets wet, or gets oil (or solvent), then it would not have the correct thickness, and the base would be loose.
Maybe someone can better answer your question, but I wouldn't use card stock as a permanent fix.

Recenter the reticle!

Go with Burris Signature rings. Secure the rifle so both hands are free with the bore pointing at something you can see through it. Install only the lower rings and put a "0" insert in both ring bottoms. Hold the scope down by pushing only above each ring and check where the reticle is "looking". You can get about 1" at 100 for each of the increments printed on the ring halves. Sometimes I even turn them at 45 degrees to get them very close. If you need the reticle to go down, use a +10 or + 20 in the rear. If that is not enough leave the one in the rear ring and put a -10 or -20 in the front. You can get up to about 40 inches at 100 yards doing this.

Make sure you push down only above the rings.

Once you are as close as the inserts allow, install the other half of the insert and top rings.

If one of our .com friends understands this but can make it clearer, please do.

I have had 2 sets of Leupold base/rings do the same thing. I used Talley light weight one piece in both occasions, and never had a problem. If you wanted to add a 20MOA rail, I would go another route. For no elevated base, I think the Talley lightweights are one of the best options. I've never used the Burris signature rings, but lots of guys like them.

morning, I've had this problem several times. I use warne steel rings and bases.

when I have a serious align problem I use an aluminum soda can for shims. brass is

very good but u might get galvantic corrison. (sp). use a dial caliper for correct

thickness. never had luck with burris signs. for left and right windage I use redfield

rings. for up and down use shims.lightbulbgun)

Laelkhunter,
I agree I don't think card is a good fix.

Wildcatter,
Thank you for that explanation, if I go with Burris is will use this method.

I would love to use talley, but they dont have lost glasses enough bases for my short scope. I have a Leupold vx3 4.5x14x50.

I would use Warne as well but bases not reversible..

My biggest concern is why this is happening. It not the scope because I've used it before. If it has to do with the bases then it seems I should use different bases. I want to find out what the problem is...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.