Help with Scope

Spino,

If I had the choice of either 50 or 56 mm objective lens, I don't think I would be swayed one way or the other, unless I intended to do a lot of late in the day hunting. Then I would go for the 56 mm in the hope of gathering extra light.

As for the gun I'm glad you like it, it is my CZ 527 American in 222. It is one of three CZ's that I have and they all have nice wood, well I think so.

John

JAYBUK,

Thanks for your input. Here in Texas when hunting whitetail deer we/most of us are in the field before the sun comes up and also hunting when the sun is going down. I hunt during the middle of the day and most any scope can handle that, but just wanting to get the best optics that gives me an edge during dawn & dusk when the big ones are trying to be elusive..

Spino,
I'm going there to shoot pigs. There is a cull hunt on one of the ranches so we can shoot as many pigs as we can. Chris Matthews, of Longshot rifles put it together.
As far as the 50 or 56 mm objective goes, the difference is going to be very small in my opinion. I think both will be very bright scopes and either one would serve you well. I just did some figuring and found that the difference in power assuming equal brightness at a 5.5 mm exit pupil is 9.09 for the 50mm and 10.18 for the 56. Mine ends up being 7.6. Personally, after saying all that, I'd go with the 50mm.

Ok, I bought a IOR = 4-14x56 Hunting scope with Illum. retical.. Has a cool flurescent green dot that light's up. I guess I thought it would be red, but that's miner. No operating manual came with the scope?? I want to ask what is the peg looking knob on the bottom left of the adjustment knobs? Is this the locking retical control? I had to replace the battery ~ It was dead when the scope arrived? Lucky I had one being use in another electronic item of mine. Traded it out and the retical came on. I thought It was broke new out of the box, Which again it came with not manual. I guess I should know how to operate it? Never the less the scope's clarity & features are SUPREME! I'm waiting for my mounting scope rings to come in. I really like the retical = It draws immediate attention to center.. Can't wait to use the Illum. feature hunting in dusk & dawn. This is my first high end scope so I'm excited. If anybody has any tips on using these scopes ~~ I'm all ear's well in this case all eye's... thx.

Spino,

I believe the "peg" you are referring to is the recess where the coil spring that tensions the reticle erector is located. Using a coil spring tends to make the reticle more durable than leaf springs.

Scott

[ QUOTE ]
Spino,
I'm going there to shoot pigs. There is a cull hunt on one of the ranches so we can shoot as many pigs as we can.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did that a couple of years ago at the Callahan Ranch south of Laredo. Bagged my buck the first day of a 3-day hunt, with my brother and cousin who still needed to get theirs, and wreaked havoc on the feral pig population the following day. Let's just say that the ranch hands were well-fed for many weeks after I left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
lrs50bmg,

Thanks for the feedback. Do I need to make any adjustments to this when I'm dialing my scope in? Thought the reticles were etched in on the IOR's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spino,

The reticle is etched on glass, but it is held in position by an erector system, adjusted by the windage and elevation turret/screw mechanism and held under tension by the erector spring, in this case a coil spring. There isn't enough room inside the tube for the coil spring, so they add a small tube/recess to accomodate the coil spring, which you observed as the small "peg" at an angle on the 7:30 position on the tube. Hope this helps. It is actually a more robust and durable design.

Scott

[ QUOTE ]
Do I need to make any adjustments to this when I'm dialing my scope in?

[/ QUOTE ]No - leave well alone. I've already suggested IOR put (yellow - soft) threadlock on the cap, once adjusted by them, to disuade folk.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.