TRIVIA-What Animal has 22 Toes?

So here is my story on how we got our first Great Pyrenees. We lived outside of town near a wooded area that we knew had coyotes, but was close to a mile away and we we surrounded by farmland and a couple of orange groves. My mom had chickens in the back that she raised for eggs. At the time we had 3 short legged Jack Russell's and one night they got into it with a couple of coyotes. They were able to drive the coyotes away but were pretty beat up. Nothing major, a few cuts but that was about it. You could tell they were pretty banged up though. My dad decided that we needed a bigger dog. So, he found someone that had anatolian/pyrenees pups and got one. We named her Sugar. She got pretty big. Never did weigh her though. One night she killed a coyote and we never had a coyote problem again. Im pretty sure the Jack's helped with that one. As they were a little beat up, but not nearly as bad as last time. Our first pyrenees died in 2015. She was 11yrs old, I think. My dad ended up getting another pup(Lula) last year and I think she is bigger than Sugar.

My parents got their first great pyranese when my first born came along. I was skeptical.
The dog immediately became a protector of my son. Like a 4 legged guardian angel.
Yes, they are very good with kids. Sugar was around for my 5 nieces and nephews and would watch over them all the time. She was always in front of them when they would walk anywhere in the yard.

Rocky, came back one morning pretty beat up and ended up loosing most of his tale. The next day I was out on the property and found three dead coyotes.
WOW you are lucky that Rocky came back alive. Coyotes are hunting in packs. Saw it myself.
ROCKY is the King killing three. What Breed is he?
There are a lot of Great Pyrenees here in the South just living with Goat/Sheep/Cow Heards for protection. Not HOUSE Pets, but rather PROTECTORS of the Livestock. Cassie came from a Breeder that "BREEDS PROTECTION DOGS" they live outside with the stock. Trying to have Cassie as a HOUSE & STOCK Dog is challenging. Whole different training!
The Pyrenees that live outside with the Stock look "ORANGE" due to the GA Red Clay and their white coats. Many people think that Bernese Mountain and Great Pyrenees have a hard time living in the South with Hot Weather because of their coats. They do just fine and adapt in this climate.
Earlier this year a neighbor across the road had their dog attacked by a pack and had to put her down. About 15 years ago a farmer that had two SHOW/ATTACK Trained German Shepards. They were out in the fields and attacked by a pack of Yotes. Both Shepards were killed.
Last week there was a story on the internet on a Yote Pack attacks. I didn't save the story link but will try to find it.

I agree about Jack Russells giving their heart and body for protection!
I've had several but the coyotes won. They took every last one of my Jacks over time.
Got a couple of Texas Heelers now. They get banged up from coyotes and other stray dogs but they are always greeting me in the mornings and nothing...I mean nothing comes in my yard without a vicious fight, which wakes me at night.
Even the Crack/Meth heads don't come near.

The Great Pyrenees is the absolute KING of livestock protection!
As Coyote Tracker and others have mentioned... They will kill any dog, cat or other animal that breeches the protection perimeter they establish! My dad had a few during my lifetime.
I'd swear that every morning at daybreak... they would walk among the livestock, whether chickens, goats or cattle and bump their nose on each as if to make a roll call to make sure everyone is alright!

But... they were not loving pets. When they would walk up in the morning... all you get to give is a pat on the head and they turn and walk away towards the livestock.

Absolutely amazing dogs!!!

I agree about Jack Russells giving their heart and body for protection!
I've had several but the coyotes won. They took every last one of my Jacks over time.
Got a couple of Texas Heelers now. They get banged up from coyotes and other stray dogs but they are always greeting me in the mornings and nothing...I mean nothing comes in my yard without a vicious fight, which wakes me at night.
Even the Crack/Meth heads don't come near.

The Great Pyrenees is the absolute KING of livestock protection!
As Coyote Tracker and others have mentioned... They will kill any dog, cat or other animal that breeches the protection perimeter they establish! My dad had a few during my lifetime.
I'd swear that every morning at daybreak... they would walk among the livestock, whether chickens, goats or cattle and bump their nose on each as if to make a roll call to make sure everyone is alright!

But... they were not loving pets. When they would walk up in the morning... all you get to give is a pat on the head and they turn and walk away towards the livestock.

Absolutely amazing dogs!!!
Just a small addition to the tenacity of the Great Pyrenees!
A friend of mine had one on a high end sheep ranch and one day his wife let the house dog (Doberman) run out un-attended.
It saw the Pyrenees in the pasture and ran up to play.
Game over...Bad decision.