Trip to Scotland

lambsey

Hello from across the pond.

Last week I spent a few days up in not so sunny Scotland, its a 3 hour drive to the ground and the rain hardly let up all the way there.

I arrived early hours of the morning and got my head down in the luxury of the hotel hilux so I was on the ground first thing.

attachment.php

Due to the frost it was like walking on corn flakes, so after 2 hours of trying to be quiet I realised a new tactic was in order.

I made my way up to open clear fell and positioned myself lying down and started to scan down the valley, after a few moments I saw some slight movement around 360yds away. A doe and kid were feeding lower down in the valley. Not a huge distant away, but plenty far enough to drag back up the hill.

attachment.php

I steadied the Sako and dropped the Doe at about 334yds and then the kid. I waited for a while and decided to go and retrieve my quarry. The 6.5x47 120g bullet had hit the mark and dropped the doe on the spot the kid moving to its final resting place a few metres away. The Gralloch and trek back to the track was a mixture of swearing, sweat and tripping over broken tree stumps in that order before I neared the forest road. I hung the carcasses in a tree and continued down the firebreak road to locate the hilux.

I decided to have a break for a while and started to scan across one of the open rides. Fortunately for me the wind was still in my face and a young kid decided to show itself about 170 yds away. I watched for a while then took the shot. After a straight forward retrieve, I wandered back to the vehicle and drove back to pick up all the carcases.

Freezer would now be full for Christmas.
Rifle: Sako 6.5x47 Fluted border 8.5 twist barrel, Mcmillan stock.
Round 120g Pro hunter
load: 38.5g RL 15

Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Iphone 029.jpg
    Iphone 029.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 86
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.