Help planning mule deer trip to Colorado please

Dogdinger is right, they do like the high country in the summer and early fall. Don't get to caught up on elavation though. I live and hunt in SW Colorado and see large bucks all over dolores and Montezuma county both of which range from under 6000ft to over 14,000ft elavation. Another place to look at is around montrose and grand junction. Don't count on getting a tag your first year, it can happen but this is the third year in a row without a deer tag and I'm a resident.

When you say highcountry, you mean above treeline...where there are no trees, right? I'm still learning what is meant by "highcountry" as it is all highcountry to this texan! :)

No better place than Colorado to learn about "High Country". We camp at 10,000 ft and hunt up over 12,000 for elk. That's about as high as a flatlander like myself can function for any length of time. It's a little different to say the least.

I started planning a Muley rut hunt in 66 in 2005. Hell,by 2022 I may have enough points to draw the tag. Unless point creep kills it. I'd complain,but honestly the herd is still pretty thin. It may take that long to raise the age base of the bucks in the Powderhorn. Unless we have another blizzard in the mean time.

There is more to planning a Colorado mule deer hunt than just deciding to head out. At least for us rifle hunters.

Unless you have been accumulating preference points, you cannot just decide you are going to hunt mule deer in CO next year.

If you have points, the latest season is hard to draw. Third rifle season requires fewer points to draw and can still be good.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.