Colorado Mule Deer

tankgijohn72

Was a long hard hunt in Colorado. 9 days camped at 10,000ft. Unguided backpack hunt on public land. Couldn't find any elk. But bumped the occasional mule deer. Only actually saw 2 other mule deer as they took off. You could normally hear them run off, but the woods was so dense you couldn't see them. Friday near dark he came out into a meadow a buddy and I sat over for 6 hours. Put a 200 gr barnes ttsx through his shoulder at 325 yds with the .35 whelen. Went 40 yds. 2 trips and 10 miles later the next day had him all back to the truck. Persistence pays, and so does luck. Very blessed to have the opportunity.

Attachments

• deer3.jpg
    deer3.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 144
  • deer4.jpg
    deer4.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 129
Nice Buck
Just curious on what area. A friend of mine says Mule deer are hard to come by in certain parts of CO. Just wanting to know what area you were in. Thanks

Near vail, co. Mule deer were hard to come by. Only saw 3 in 9 days. Good luck in 3rd season. This one was taken around 9,600 ft.

That is a spectacular buck. They are not easy to come by that size. I'm sure it made a grueling hunt all worth while. Nice job.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.