Triggers: which one to get started?

I consider Rem xmark triggers with a new spring safe and reliable. The pull feels fine to me. I think many have a prejudice to stock triggers. Like you say, to each their own. I also own no stock in either :)

When I had my first rifle built, a 338 edge, I put a jewel br trigger on it. Went over to a very cold part of the state where it was snowing after big muleys. Had a nice four-point in my sights and I couldn't get the firing pin to engage because the trigger had frozen up. Not the triggers fault, they just aren't meant for that application. Took that trigger off and changed it out with a timney. Started playing with stock triggers and didn't see a difference on paper.

What do I use now? I have started taking the stock Rem 700 xmark trigger, polishing the mating surfaces lightly and changing out the spring with a lighter one. On paper, I have not been able to tell a difference. Only difference I have found is lighter the pull, the more accurate I am.

If you are just getting started, there is nothing wrong with buying a $7 trigger spring rather than a $200 trigger and investing that money elsewhere. Flame suit on .... again ;)

I live in a dry dusty climate so I don't like things that collect dirt and grit in and around my triggers or firing pins . Blowing snow or rain are hard to over come when you take a rifle out of a warm truck into the cold the moisture tends to freeze after the metal gets cold I don't know how to stop that problem except to keep the metal cold enough that it won't melt then freeze . Triggers barrels stocks ect . all seem to be a personal choice to be made by each of us I myself don't know enough about working on triggers to be polishing on things that could get my rifle to fire if dropped or bumped and I like not less then 2.5 lbs. pull for the same reason on my hunting rifle . Target rifles to me are a different animal a few oz. pull weight are ok on them different strokes for different for different applications .

safety, reliability, and a superior pull to a stock trigger that has been meddled with. but to each their own. I own no stock in their company.

Exactly!! As a competitive PRS shooter Ive used almost every trigger under the sun. Jewel, Timney, Bix and Trigger Tech. I had problems with all of them in the rain except the Trigger Tech.

I must confess, I don't hunt a lot in ice and snow (Texas) but when I do I use a soft case to transport the rifle and it keeps the weather off the rifle and scope. I like the soft cases that have a sling to make it easier to carry. I have been walking and found that most of the time I had time to unzip the case and use the rifle.

I have never had any failures of any kind or brand of triggers because I take very good care of them and maintain them as best as I can because the more precise a trigger is, the more it needs to be taken care of. (Like a fine watch). I see lots of TV shows where the owner just sticks the rifle down in the snow to stand it up and it still surprises me
but I do see a lot of them cover the muzzle with something to at least keep the bore clean.

I just can't make myself lay or stand a rifle any where it could get fouled with anything.
Just me ! I don't think any trigger would work with Ice in it so the problem would appear to be the conditions you hunt in and some preventive measures should be taken. Sorry you lost/missed a shot at a good animal.

J E CUSTOM

image.jpg
This is probably the easiest solution if you aren't expecting any quick snap shots

I've heard the jewel triggers are amazing, but don't deal with hunting conditions very well. I.e extreme cold, dust build up etc.

I run trigger techs and have been installing them on all the gun builds I have been doing. Haven't had a failure yet, and haven't read of a trigger tech failure on a forum yet.

Living and hunting in northern Alberta taught me to keep my rifle or bow at outside temperatures to avoid icing bolts, releases, triggers etc. A bow gains draw weight when cold, and temperature affects some powders more than others. Try 1 cold bore shot at each 10 degrees below zero and you will also notice clothing, gloves, your breathing can change things. Dry firing should also help your confidence and alert you to potential problems. Good advice on the naptha! I also use white lithium grease specified for -40 to provide a barrier to moisture. I have personally never had a problem with bolts, triggers etc. with a light coat. I understand there are many new products including aerosol lithium which are possibly better but I stick with what has worked for me. Always have a few spare wraps of tape to cover your muzzle. Put the first wrap on sticky side out, then wrap over it to protect your finish.

7C88CD07-1DBE-4F7F-9757-8B93D1FE6538.jpeg
JE, I ended up getting him, but it took me cycling the bolt well over 20 times to get it to set. Idaho weather is definitely different than Texas :)
I use the eberlestock just one pack but moisture can still accumulate somehow.
Soft cases are not used much here when hiking up mountains. The stock triggers have been used in the same conditions without fail.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.