Where to Get Started

nedley01

Hi All; new to forum and interested in a long range rig; mainly for some target fun but extending to field when loads etc sorted.

I am from Western Australian and live in the Gascoyne Region which is a semi desert area when properties are measured in up to a million acres. Needless to say most of our shooting is done in close proximity to vehicle. Primary game to be considered for long range busting is from goats through donkeys to camels; all vermin.

The rigs that are described on the site are fascinating but I expect our options down under may be limited. I am also not wanting to invest a vast sum on a rig at this stage; wishing to grow with the pursuit over time. With this in mind I am looking for suggestions; I have looked at some info on the 300 WSM and 300 RUM. Optimal rounds seem to be limited to 180 grainers at the top end, though with the game in mind this is no hindrance. Can these rounds be accommodated in a 308 length action? I would consider
buying a Ruger KM77VR and having rechambered (if this is possible).

Glad for any advice.

Ta

Ned

Ned,

Welcome to the site and long range hunting. The Ultra Mag will not fit a 308 length action unless you were refering to the Short Action Ultra Mag (SAUM). The short mags are great rounds I prefer the full sized version myself, if you reload there is a wide selection of bullets to choose from of the heavier ones I like the 200 gr Nosler Accubond or the 200,220 or 240 gr Sierra Matchkings. If you go short mag version it has been my experience the the 200 gr Accubond is about tops it seems that the heavier bullets just don't run enough velocity to make them work well on game at distance. On actions for a multitude of reasons I think you be disappointed if you select the M77 for a long basis, while they make a solid and reliable utility rifle the Remington 700 is alot better platform to start with and can be built into almost anything you want later on down the road. My sugestion would be to look at the Remington Sendero II or Varmint special in the caliber you want, put a break on it, adjust the trigger, get some long range glass and get started.

[ QUOTE ]
... Primary game to be considered for long range busting is from goats through donkeys to camels; all vermin......

Ned

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that sounds like the ultimate varmint hunt.

I am guessing you don't have to be concerned with them disappearing into holes just before you pull the trigger..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(just dreamin' away)

Jim

I second what Shawn said , maybe find a Sendero in 300RUM or 300Win mag and have it rechambered , after a good bedding job some trigger tuning and some good glass you would be ready for long range shooting.
I personaly am heading in the direction of the smaller calibers like 7mm and 6.5 due to their great selection of high BC bullets but not to sure if I'd shoot some of the bigger critters you mentioned like camals so I'd stick with a 30 cal or 338.

Hey, glad you made it over. Theres nothign wrong with teh 300 WSM or RUM. The RUM is a little more powerful and will give you more reach, but at more cost. It will burn up barrels 2x quicker, burn 25g more powder, and kicks pretty good if you dont have a muzzle brake. WIth that said, the 300 WSM shines with bullets from 180-190g, the RUM shines with heavier bullets like the 210g and 220g, even 240g. I"ve shot my 300 RUM to 1150 yards at a 15" steel plate with the Berger 210g VLD with satisfactory results from a bone stock rem 700. YOu will not be able to fit the RUM in a short action. The WSM you will be able to, but you will not be able to take advantage of the bigger higher BC bullets, which is really what you need for LR shooting. Theres a bunch of good guys over here, should be able to get you set up the way you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts