Trigger guard screw problem

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Ultramag45, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Ultramag45

Ultramag45 Well-Known Member

I have 2 338 Rums... both are on 700 actions... I have been having acton screw(Floor Plate screw) problems... after about 5- 9 shots they loosen up.... I tighten them up very snug 40-50 inch lbs and scratch a line on the screw as to see if they move....every time I shoot, it may not move from the line but I check them and they are barley tight... I tighten them up more ( thus changing Point of Impact).. also the screws are becoming longer making the bolt hard to close. I have trimmed them both so the bolt closes..I know it is just wearing ito the Aluminum and making it worse... do you think that Loctite would fix or a small washer under the screw... appreciate all thoughts on this....gun)

2. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

Sounds like the stock is "crushing". If it is a wood stock, pillars would solve the problem. If it is "tupperware" a new stock is in order.

3. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

It does sound like a 'crush' problem. Pillars will solve stock 'crush', but, ya' can't fix aluminum (pot metal) with Locktite. Time for some of that 'milled steel' bottom metal if that's where your problem is.