Tree Squirrel Rifles

Also my first gun, instead of a toy. I was 9 years old. Still in the safe.
It was my first also. My dad wouldn't allow me to have BB gun. He felt the BB gun could get you into trouble. Like a BB gun fight with others. So learned on a real gun or rifle. At the same time it wasn't a toy. I did about the same thing with my boys. Although I did have a pellet rifle for ground squirrels, that we used. That how we controlled them around our home. It also got the boys into shooting too, and better.

It was my first also. My dad wouldn't allow me to have BB gun. He felt the BB gun could get you into trouble. Like a BB gun fight with others. So learned on a real gun or rifle. At the same time it wasn't a toy. I did about the same thing with my boys. Although I did have a pellet rifle for ground squirrels, that we used. That how we controlled them around our home. It also got the boys into shooting too, and better.

Although I learned with a 22 and my dad would not let me have a BB gun, my friends all had BB guns and did go to war a few times. Had to pluck BBs out from under my skin with tweezers!
Your dad and mine knew better! I just didn't listen all the time.

Last edited:
CZ 453 in 17hmr.

Also a savage 22lr which I can't find a pic of but hard to carry it with the suppressed 17 that's a killer.

Screenshot_20210105-135131_Gallery.jpg

Although I learned with a 22 and my dad would not let me have a BB gun, my friends all had BB guns and did go to war a few times. Had to pluck BBs out from under my skin with tweezers!
You dad and mine knew better! I just didn't listen all the time.
I told my dad that his IQ started dropping when I was in my early teens, and didn't start climbing again until I was in my mid-late 20's.

He laughed. Told me the same thing happened with his dad.

Dad bought me BB gun when I was eight Shot a sparrow I was taught real quick not to kill for no reason My new BB gun got it almost as bad as my rear end

When I was 10 I had a neighbour that thought my shoulder was a squirrel, or maybe a rabbit. He was fooling around pointing the bb gun at me and I crouched behind some grass-- my shoulder was 3" from my eye so I guess I was lucky.

I love to hunt squirrels. I shot my first squirrel 70 years ago last fall. My first rifle was a Winchester 69A with original rear peep sight, Dad traded an old saddle for the rifle. I still have the rifle but it needs a barrel liner, And some other work.

The Win. 69A, Then to a Ruger 10/22 with a 3/4" 4X Browning scope, Looks like the scope was built about 1972 by Redfield.
I then started building, Cap Lock muzzleloaders. First a 36 cal. Then Built 2 32 cal. I loved hunting squirrels with a .32 muzzle loader. Killed my limit of 6 squirrels out of 1 hickory tree 3 times with them. The squirrels will just stop eating and look around with the dull crack of Black Powder. The secret is have a big tree to hide behind when loading, So the squirrels can't see you move, Start with the lowest squirrel in the tree, And go up to the next one.
Quit my .32 ML when my eyes with age went bad, Could see 3 rear sights and could hit nothing with them.
Put together a 10/22 Ruger HB with laminated stock. Then to CZ 452 Leopold VXIII 4X12 and now a CZ 457 Leopold VXIII 6X18.
I still love to squirrel hunt, And have a squirrel fry, Fried squirrel, Mashed potatoes/squirrel gravy, Green Beans, Sweet potatoes and Home made Biscuits.

I love to hunt squirrels. I shot my first squirrel 70 years ago last fall. My first rifle was a Winchester 69A with original rear peep sight, Dad traded an old saddle for the rifle. I still have the rifle but it needs a barrel liner, And some other work.

My first rifle was a Winchester 69A with open sights that was given to me in 1958 , when I was 8 years old .
The rifle was given to me by my Great Uncle ( my Mother's Uncle ) , who told me that he had purchased the rifle new in 1939 .
Uncle Ben was born in September ,1899 , and passed away in May , 1974 , just 3 months short of age 75 .
That rifle accounted for numerous squirrels and Cottontail rabbits by the hundreds .
It still is extremely accurate , and is the most cherished firearm in my collection .

We collect and advance through the years from BB guns to present rifles.

I moved from .22 rifles on to .17 rifles and from my HMR to my .17 WSMs. I recently ordered a second WSM, a Savage A1 .17 WSM Sporter. The WSM is not overkill, since we rabid squirrel hunters go for head shots.

Another plus for the .17 WSM is shooting varmints encountered while hunting. The picture below of my Savage BMAG .17 WSM, is of one before I did some mods to the rifle.

Attachments

• 19511069_1539705822735628_4035899610233067440_n.jpg
    19511069_1539705822735628_4035899610233067440_n.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited: