Black Squirrel

Waynzee

Seen this black squirrel outside, but couldn't shoot him he's not in season yet.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 213
Those have a season? thought you could shoot them year round lol. I believe it's only closed for a small time in my area. Only when they have young. My parents house has about every variety of them and hundreds of each. I get request from fly fisher all the time and they are shock that I can bring them anything they want the next day if the season is open. Much easier now that our small game in Michigan comes with base tag.

Those have a season? thought you could shoot them year round lol. I believe it's only closed for a small time in my area. Only when they have young. My parents house has about every variety of them and hundreds of each. I get request from fly fisher all the time and they are shock that I can bring them anything they want the next day if the season is open. Much easier now that our small game in Michigan comes with base tag.

Yep, all the small game in PA. has a season that you can hunt them in. From about the 2nd. week in Oct. to about the middle of Feb. for Squirrels.
That's great you can hunt them about all year and you have so many to hunt. Around here there is a fair population of Squirrels,the Hawks,Eagles,and other raptors take a pretty good toll on the small game.

morning, TX the season is open year round. the black squirrel here is called a

rock squirrel, not good to eat?? never shot one, got lots of red squirrels ,or fox

squirrels. lots of pecan trees. pecan tree farmers due no like squirrels. Okla. is the

same. I killed 41 squirrels last year. the barking vermit cover my drive way

and back porch with hulls. very good table fair, pot or fried. the older ones

r pot, smaller r good fried.lightbulb:Dgun)

The best place to hunt for squirrels here in PA. where I live is around any nut or fruit tree, along stone walls that divide corn fields and woods and pine trees with pine cones on them. On a good day a fella can pick up 5 or 6 squirrels.
I like taken out my Marlin 22LR with the CCI subsonic all lead H.P. bullets and just mosey along, maybe sit for a while and use the squirrel bark just to see what happens. Sometimes the bark works sometimes it don't.

At the camp we hunt squirrel out of used to have some Black Phase Grey Squirrels back a few years ago. I got one and gave it to a friend. He was going to mount it in a display he was making, Grey, Fox, and black squirrel.
In the late 1970's an area in the eastern mountains of West Virginia where I worked there was a few Black Phase Fox Squirrels. In sunlight you could see a red hair here and there. My oldest sons first squirrel was one of these Black Phase Fox Squirrel. Later in the season we saw like a family of six young squirrels in one hickory tree. We watched them and left them for seed. Just took grey squirrel for the pot.

It would be really cool to have a black squirrel. Hopefully he's still around later in the season.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.