Training for Marco Polo Sheep Hunt - high altitude shooting

Folks

I'm looking for places to safely shoot my rifle while training at altitude for my Marco Polo Sheep Hunt. I'd like someplace in the Lower 48, where I can safely shoot at altitudes above 10,000 feet at distances of 600-700 yards.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Leadville, Colorado 10,151 ft above sea level. Good place for physical training also.

Folks

I'm looking for places to safely shoot my rifle while training at altitude for my Marco Polo Sheep Hunt. I'd like someplace in the Lower 48, where I can safely shoot at altitudes above 10,000 feet at distances of 600-700 yards.

Thanks in advance
Head for the Rocky Mountains. High altitude national forests all over the place.

When I was young, climbing mountains was fun. I always hated trying to get down. Scary and I am very prone to shin splints. Have fun on your trip. Get a "Big Un" for those of us that can no longer endure such an adventure.

Driving the highway 550 South of Ouray Colorado would put you over 10,000 feet. Beautiful area too. I agree spending a few days hiking around 12,000 feet in Colorado would be more beneficial than the shooting practice.

Folks

Thanks in advance

4th of july lakes outside denver!
National forest
10k to 12k ft elevation

Pretty easy to get over 10,000' here in California too. Some roads go nearly that high then just short hikes from there.

I live at sea level basically, went on my first Colorado hunt this fall. We got above 11,500 feet. I focused all summer on Cardio training, ran 10-20 miles a week, carried the youngest in a backpack almost every night on family walks around town. I sucked wind a bit in the beginning, but I recovered quickly and could go again faster than the guys who didn't run in preparation. Carried a rear quarter out 8 miles on the last day in two feet of snow. The prep made it so I could for sure.

I live at ~4500ft and can readily get to over 9000 and can shoot there if we want. Like others have said, lots of places in the Rockies to do that. I was over on Mauna Loa a few months ago. It was a short trip but nice, interesting the altitude from starting out at Kailua Kona only the day before.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.