trail cameras... how much noise do they make?

green 788

I have a need to monitor some activity that appears to be going on at my cabin.

I wanted to use an infrared trail camera, so that the suspects would not know they had been photographed (otherwise they'd likely smash my camera and/or steal it) :eek:

So I want something that I can place close (within about 15 yards if possible), but I don't want it to make any noise...

I've never owned one of these cameras, so I don't know if what I'm asking for is too tall an order or not...

Comments appreciated. :)

Dan

i use spypoint cameras and they dont make any noise but in the dark the infared lights light up when it takes a picture. and whatever you are trying to get a pic of might see it. good luck

You might try travel route for the vehicle and get a plate #,might not notice in rig.

There are a few that don't emit any visable light. A buddy of mine has a Reconix like that but they are spendy.

okay... thanks for the info so far. I'm learning already...

I was thinking the IR flashes were not visible... that will foil my plan for sure, if the camera is noticed.

I haven't had anything stolen... just some teenagers (I think) helping themselves to the accommodations, so to speak. :eek: Fire wood being used... some trash here and there... but if they see the camera take a picture, they'll take the camera for sure I'd say.

Dan

There are a few options, the true black flash shows no light at all that the human eye can see but it seems to have less range, there are mms capable cams now that will send the photo to your pnone or email if there is cell coverage or there are cameras that send the pic to a storage point not far from the camera so you can hide it away from the poin of interest and if they spot the camera there is lillt chance they will even know to look for the stoage let alone find it.
I have 2 Im playing with at the moment.

on the black flash... is that something that a 200 dollar camera can do? Or do I have to pay upwards of 600 bucks for that?

What model(s) would have the feature of no detectable flash? I don't mind if I need to have it close... I can hide it in the wood pile that's right next to the cabin...

Theres some good options here but they are not cheap
Reconyx :: See What You've Been Missing... | RECONYX, Inc.

Im using a Moultrie M80 BLX which is cheaper but I havnt checked the flash to see if its visable at all, night shots are ok.Iv also got a ltl acorn 6210mm for the mms feature but the night flash is poor and it lets in moisture . They are in the process or redesinging the case but untill they fix the problem its a no go.
PICT0229.jpg

This is the Ltl Acorn at night.

IMAG0028.jpg

Daytime shots are very good from both cameras. Things to considder are trigger time and sensitivity, megapixels are pretty much irrelevant once you get past 3.

I just picked up a Bushnell Trophy Cam HD with the Black Flash here for covert trespasser surveillance. It was ~250 and does not emit visible light. It even has timelapse (good for watching large plots) and a HD video mode which lets you capture more than just 1 to 3 shots. All modes use the black flash.

The camera does make a barely audible click or thunk when it detects movement, but it has to be really quiet to hear it. If there's any ambient noise and/or you don't know it's there, you're not going to hear it.

ree...thanks for that information. I've seen that model, and am leaning in that direction... I appreciate the help.

Dan

I would try a daylight only plotwatcher type of set up. The range of the true black flash is limited and the camera would have to be close. Set a plotwatcher type back a bit. Most less expensive cameras make noise when they transition from light/dark and again at dark/light. If it's the first pic after a change then you will get some noise. If you have a climber an some trees then set it up high where they will have a hard time getting it if they see it. GOOD LUCK!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.