Trail Boss In 338 Lapua Mag

I have always wanted to use the ballistic gel, I think you could see the wound channel much better. Though i'm not sure how much of it you would need to stop a 338 LRX...:rolleyes:

Ya I would like to also but the unflavored gelatin can get expensive and you have to keep it cool or it melts on you. I did it a couple years ago to see the wound from my pellet gun. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking you would need a cement truck to mix the amount of gel that it would take to stop a 280 grain Barnes LRX.:D

I just did a search and to buy ordnance gel it is $125 per 10 pounds of powder!!

ok some more results.
35 grains, 1590 fps
36 grains, no reading :rolleyes:
37 grains, 1955 fps!!

I'm thinkin that the 37 grain reading is wrong.:rolleyes:

Also, i got a new lot of retumbo for my full power Barnes LRX loads and i had to reduce the charge by 1.5 grains to get the same velocity as the other lot.

I loaded up a round with 36 grains of trail boss so we will hopefully shoot them tomorrow and get a velocity. Then we should be ready for testing once i get enough newspapers!

BTW if anyone wants to send me like 10 300 grain Sierra Matchking or 300 grain Bergers i would be more than willing to put them through the same test and compare results. :D

Another update.

These are touching the lands.

28 grains, 1374 fps
29 grains, 1404 fps
30 grains, 1465 fps (One of three goal velocities)
31 grains, 1446 fps
32 grains, 1511 fps
33 grains, 1552 fps (One of three goal velocities)

I loaded up three more rounds when i got home, at 35, 36, and 37 grains.

BTW: You can only fit 38 grains of Trail Boss in a 338 Lapua case until it flows over the case neck. :D :rolleyes:
I was really surprised to see talk of using filler with TrailBoss. It's an interesting powder in that it can be used in almost everything and the main caveat is DO NOT COMPRESS it. You can basically fill the case to where the bullet will sit and go.

Sounds like you are getting good results with TrailBoss.

Ya I am happy with the results. I have almost 2 full jugs so It will be a while before I run out. :rolleyes:

Been using TB for several years now. Heck I can remember phoning IMR about using TB in a .308 or 30-06 with cast bullets and being told absolutely NOT to do it. Why? Answer given me was powder had some unique burn characteristics and was safe to use only in straight case cartridges.....that using it in a bottle neck cartridge like a 308 or 30-06 could cause a potential pressure problem. Forget about using a jacketed bullet back then with TB.

LOL, now IMR/Hodgdon says it can be used safely at 100% load density in any cartridge (with either cast or jacketed bullets) and it will not exceed the SAAMI pressure specs for it.

However, the use of a filler or compressing TB, as I understand, is not something IMR/Hodgdon would recommend. Suggest you contact IMR and consult them.

It's an interesting powder in that it can be used in almost everything and the main caveat is DO NOT COMPRESS it.

However, the use of a filler or compressing TB, as I understand, is not something IMR/Hodgdon would recommend. Suggest you contact IMR and consult them.
Why shouldn't I compress it? The 37 grain charge was compressed and showed a very slight ejector mark but 36 grains or under didn't show any signs of pressure whatsoever.

It doesn't say anything about compressed loads. I worked up slowly so I don't think I Am putting myself in danger.

Hodgdon had the same info on their website. I will hopefully shoot the reduced loads into the newspapers sometime next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.