6.5 Creedmoor & Trail Boss

Buska

FCA9FAE1-9D87-4EA9-8DC7-B4AEC8323D83.jpeg
I was looking for extremely low recoil loads for my kids (daughters 9 and 12) to practice with but couldn't find much. I contacted Hodgdon, they sent me their link on how to find starting loads with Trail Boss so went that route.

Take this as a general guideline but at least gives you an idea of where to start if you want to tinker. It was so much fun, it's comical how little felt recoil there actually is. I couldn't believe it. Also, it surprised me how well some of the loads shot.

I need to put them through the crony still but this was a good starting point.

Anyway, here you go if you want it:

6.5 Creedmoor
Brass: Starline (small primer)
Bullet: Berger VLD 130 grain
Primer: CCI BR-4
OAL: 2.825" (0.015" off)
Powder: Trail Boss (8.2-11.3)
Rifle: stock Browning X-Bolt Stalker LR

Have fun and obviously, these charges are safe in my rifle. Yours will vary.

I'm not sure on velocity I left my crony on the table on my way out. I'll let you know when I get back out, hopefully in the next few days

Are you thinking sub-sonic? My brother uses Trail Boss in his bolt action .223 w. 69 SMKs. Awesome light round.

I have all sorts of Trail Boss light loads. They are lots of fun.

I used to use trailboss but cost was high for me. Switched to unique now. Cheaper and easier to get.

Should be enough for fire forming? I only tested to about 90% fill, wasn't sure what to expect. Since I'm just using it for fun and to get the kids comfortable on the rifle I doubt I'll play much more with it. Just load a pile of rounds and let them go nuts. Fun for them to shoot at balloons and clays, anything that reacts is fun

Do you get good enough pressure to fire form cases with it? Might have to play with that for the new 6CM...

I used to use trailboss but cost was high for me. Switched to unique now. Cheaper and easier to get.

Nice, I'll have to check that out I didn't even look at unique. $19/lb for the Trail Boss, I didn't think that was bad

Nice, I'll have to check that out I didn't even look at unique. $19/lb for the Trail Boss, I didn't think that was bad

Trailboss only has 9 ounces in a can.
At my local Canadian store it's $39.99 plus taxes (11%) I fought a 8 pound jug of unique for $239 tax in. I use it for all cast loads, some jacketed rifle loads and pistol cast and jacketed.

Hmmmm, I have some trail boss, a 260ai with a 7.5 twist and a can. If I buy some of the new 150 class bullets... This could be fun. Would also be a fun/easy on the barrel way to form ai brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts