Tract Optics Toric UHD 30mm 4-20x50

I NEED a 5-25X on my deer rifle. On two occasion I found animals with my binoculars and couldn't decide to shoot until the scope was turned up. What others do is okay with me; except telling me I don't need what I need.

I NEED a 5-25X on my deer rifle. On two occasion I found animals with my binoculars and couldn't decide to shoot until the scope was turned up. What others do is okay with me; except telling me I don't need what I need.
The context of my comments was on FFP scopes. You already stated your preference for 2nd focal plane, so those comments don't apply to you.

What is retarded is buying a scope that goes from 5-25x...in the first focal plane...and then expecting that reticle to be just right at both ends.

It is even more retarded that the factories have to churn out this crap because of idiots who think they should be able to hog hunt, play sniper, and shoot ELR all with the same scope.

Nobody should be telling anybody what they need to buy or what they don't. Everybody has different needs. If it works for you great, and nothing wrong with trying new things. Have this scope right now on my 6.5 PRC, tracks great, glass is good, and i magine you could turn the illumination on when you're hunting through the woods. It's pretty bright.

I agree that most shooters are at the range instead of hunting these days. However, I have been using an illuminated FFP Valdada 2.5-10x42 on my varmint calling gun for over 10 years. It works great; illuminated or not, at close range on lower powers and I have killed past 800 yards with it as well. I mainly like FFP for running shots as it gives me consistent leads regardless of power. That being said, I did go thru a few FFP scopes for dedicated long range guns and hated them for that application. I currently use a NF NXS npr1 or MOAR in SFP for those type guns.
So does knowing the approximate body dimensions of the animal you are tracking.

I think there is a some what of a disconnect that we see. lots of people say FFP, FFP, go the tactical forums, its basically if its not FFP its crap. for me a FFP scope is freaking an expansive paper weight. What in the hell good is a reticle you can't see on low power. After watching things play out on the forums etc. I have come to the conclusion is nearly everyone is shooting their gun at the range, not in the field. They are using their scopes on medium to high power. FFP works for them. as a hunting scope you need to see the reticle on low power. FFP is a fail in a hunting scope.
I could not agree more.

For dark timber hunting, swamps, etc the illuminated reticle on FFP scopes works well. I like FFP since I don't have to do math with the magnification and windage holds. That's pretty much the main advantage. Everything else between them is a wash.

I only use FFP scopes on my hunting rifles except the .22LRs. I use wind holds for long shots, and not necessarily on max magnification. Meaning no math, or making sure I am on exactly half or quarter mag to use subtensions. I have never "lost" a reticle on min mag, even in timber. And not all my reticles have heavy outer stadia. I think higher quality optics just make it far easier to see the reticle AND the animal in marginal conditions.

You don't like them? Great. Makes it easier for me to obtain them.
3-15×50 Premier Heritage Light Tactical w. Gen 2XR
3-15×50 Tangent Theta TT315M w. Gen 2XR
3-20×50 S&B PMII MTC LT w. H2CMR
3-24×52 March F w. FML-1
6-24×56 Kahles K624i w. SKMR
5-25×56 Premier Heritage w. Gen 2XR
5-25×56 S&B PMII DT w. H2CMR

Last edited: