Tract and other scopes

Snowbird

I'm looking at picking up a scope for mid range hunting and longer range target. I had my eye on the new tract toric 2.5-15x44 but started to worry about reliability of holding zero. That left me looking at the trijicon tenmile 3-18x44 and NF NX8. I wasn't really sold on the reticle options for the NF. The mil cf1 seems horrible for a hunting application. Trijicon seems reliable and has a decent reticle but I keep thinking I might like the tract better if it's reliable. Is anyone aware of failures in the toric line?

Love the two 3-15 Tracts that I have. So far tracking and zero retention have been perfect. The glass is awesome, tough to beat without spending double.
I haven't seen any negative reviews by guys that have them but have seen a bunch of positive reviews.
Gary

I'm looking at picking up a scope for mid range hunting and longer range target. I had my eye on the new tract toric 2.5-15x44 but started to worry about reliability of holding zero. That left me looking at the trijicon tenmile 3-18x44 and NF NX8. I wasn't really sold on the reticle options for the NF. The mil cf1 seems horrible for a hunting application. Trijicon seems reliable and has a decent reticle but I keep thinking I might like the tract better if it's reliable. Is anyone aware of failures in the toric line?
What caused you to worry whether it would hold zero? Any and all scopes could malfunction and not hold zero, that is why I buy scopes with Lifetime Warranties. I do not own a Tract scope yet, but plan on this being my next optic purchase.

What caused you to worry whether it would hold zero? Any and all scopes could malfunction and not hold zero, that is why I buy scopes with Lifetime Warranties. I do not own a Tract scope yet, but plan on this being my next optic purchase.

I saw some threads where people claimed to have lost zero with tract scopes and realized the company doesn't have any impact testing. That made me wonder if these were isolated incidents or if I need to look for a company that makes more durable scopes since my hunting style can be hard on gear.

I have looked at them for a little over two months, all the reviews on there website are pretty much 5 star rating, they do have a Lifetime Warranty, so those people should have been able to get them repaired at no cost. Another scope that is comparable is the Athlon Cronus, those are made in Japan using Japanese glass, they have a Lifetime Warranty as well. If I was to get a new scope today, it would be the Tract Toric 4-20x50 in MOA.

I saw some threads where people claimed to have lost zero with tract scopes and realized the company doesn't have any impact testing. That made me wonder if these were isolated incidents or if I need to look for a company that makes more durable scopes since my hunting style can be hard on gear.
Call them and ask Jon Alan about impact testing he will tell you yes or no

I have a Tract Toric 2-10x42 and really like it. The tracking and turrets are the best I have experienced and it has held zero perfectly. I understand they are made in Japan by LOW which makes scopes for a lot of brands including Zeiss. This could be the reason for no impact testing? I'm sure LOW has already done a ton of it for other lines.

That said I was a bit disappointed by it at low light compared to a Leupold VX3HD and a GPO Passion 3x that were both better than the so called Schott Glass that they brag about so much.

Still they make fine scopes overall and I don't think you would be disappointed .

I have 4 Tract scopes. 2 4.5x30, 4x20 and one of the rimfire scopes. One of the 4.5x30 is on my Vudoo 22 that I use in rimfire prs matches and it gets treated pretty rough and has never had and problems holding zero. I have and have had Vortex, Nightforce and Leupold scopes and I have been very happy with the Tract scopes. Are they just as good as a Vortex Razor or Nightforce ATACR, NO but I believe they are very good for the price. I don't own a Athlon Cronus but have looked through several and in my opinion are optically equal to the Tract but I preferred the reticle in the Tract.

Can you cite/link specific posts? That is a strong claim to throw out without a link.

Can you cite/link specific posts? That is a strong claim to throw out without a link.
I don't have the time to run down all the post for you but this one was easy to find again. It's the first one that caught my attention and then I began to read the owners comments on testing. I'm not in favor of destructive testing but I'd like some guarantee that if my rifle gets bumped around or falls from leaning on a fence post that it'll hold zero.

Last edited:
Holy Hell…. Dropped it 3 times from chest high directly on the scope and it didn't hold its zero?!!!!
What a piece of ****!!!!
Sarcasm emphasized !!!!!!

I get that. That's why I mentioned non destructive impact testing. It seems like side impacts, like falling over while the butt stock is in contact with the ground, causes issues with holding zero. I have one tract scope and it's held zero just fine with normal use. I'd like to purchase another but am considering trijicon or nightforce since they can easily handle rough use, like bouncing up a mountain trail in a 4x4.

If tract said we build them for tough conditions and test them, then I wouldn't feel like I was rolling the dice on a Leupold.