Toting your rifle afield..

Jake in NC

.. Hey fellas.. I was just curious as to what you guys were using to tote your rifles afield.? I know that a lot of the rifles used here are bench guns but what about those that are just "kindof chunky".. Like something in the Sedero class.. I tried it with a regular sling but found it pretty oncomfortable after a while.. What are the options.?? Thanks.. d:^) JiNC

I use Turner competition slings or Tactical Intervention slings. I don't sling the rifle over my shoulder in the usual fashion, I carry it sort of "hasty sling". I keeps the rifle immediately available and in full control of the shooter.

I hold the rifle muzzle up in my left hand, palm of my hand on the floorplate. The sling is over my left shoulder and the butt of the rifle is resting on my thigh right at my waist or sometimes I snag the rifle butt on my belt. The sling must be tight enough so that the rifle will not be more than the length of your arm (forearm) away from you shoulder. Your forearm "locks" the rifle from sliding anywhere. I carry my rifles in this fashion about 90% of the time...The butt on my belt or thigh takes most of the weight but every now and again my hand gets cold from in-activity. I have complete control and if I tumble I still have a hand on the rifle and can avert most dangers. When I stop to glass I rest the binos on the side of the rifle and the rifle butt against my body makes for a solid "giggle free" rest. The only time I carry in some other fashion is if I NEED both hands free to climb, drag something, pee or "wrestle bears and such".

Best sling that I've found for varmint weight rifles is the Vero Vellini "wide" neoprene rubber sling. It has stretchable nylon on one side for strength and rubber on the other so that it does not slip off your shoulder.
The sling stretches slightly with every step you take and makes the rifle "feel" much lighter. It is much more comfortable than a non-stretching type sling.

VH

[ 12-21-2003: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

I will second Varmint Hunter's recommendation, the Vero Vellini is a great sling for heavy rifles. Strong and simple and cuts the apparent weight of the a heavy rifle significantly. You can order them from Cabelas for 20 bucks. Also use Tactical Interventions, they are built about like a brick outhouse for tough - very comfortable for shooting prone. Buy direct from Mike Miller from his website. Another great sling is sold by Browning, it enables you to "pack" your rifle on your back like a backpack, arms go through individual straps and the rifle is out of the way and totally secure. Available from Cabelas also. Believe I covered that one some time ago, would be availabe through a search.
One of my friends has a fanny pack that enables him to set his rifle butt onto, takes the weight of the rifle nicely off his shoulders.
Vero Vellini for short hunts, day to day stuff. Tactical Intervention for shooting, toting and looking cool. Browning for long-haul type hunts.

And for 17 pound outfits....that may also be top-heavy:

I can't remember if I got it from Cabela's but it is a wide nylon belt with a webbed open-style "holster" that accepts the butt of the stock. I use my normal sling simply over the shoulder but with the butt-holster positioned in the rear-center position behind my back. Very stable, very comfortable. Doesn't seem to matter how much the rifle weighs when using this system. MOst of the weight is taken up by the hips. I think it would be easy to make something like this to attach to an existing belt or maybe even a fanny pack as Ian mentioned.

Good question!
Even light guns get HEAVY !
grin.gif

Mine is top heavy and just to long to slip thru the trees with. I seen a police siper carry his cross shoulder butt-up and barrel down with a barrel sock on.
I tried it and it works OK but he had a shorter barrel and my wildcat stock digs into my back and it is to hard to get on/off.
I want to put the sling on the side of the stock for flatter area. Has anybody ever seen this done or know the drawbacks?
I think before I drill and stud the side of my stock I'll try the fanny pouch next.
Maybe get a gun bearer, quad or a mule as a last resort!
I think this is why they sell lightweight guns and hunters think 200 is looong
grin.gif

I would rather loose 5 lbs off the old spare tire/love handles than give up the 5 lbs of accuracy.

Call me weak but on short day trips.. or days I know I'm walking alot...

I use this...

It has shoulder straps and room for other necessary gear!

Drag Bag

I second the motion for drag bags - use the Eagle or Galati, depending on the rifle length.

Mode needs to be relatively stationary, though (like I normally deer hunt). If I'm predator hunting - moving alot - I use Vero Vellini...

I am very much into spot and stalk, and i came up with a simple system that works OK for carrying, but great for crawling. It's just a std. 3/4 or 1" webbing with a snap in one end with the webbing fished thru it like a backpack shoulder strap, that allows me to adjust the length of the sling quickly so the gun fits tight to my body. This keeps the gun from slipping around clumsily on my back or belly as i crawl. When i get to my shooting spot, i don't have to contort to get it off for the shot, just reach up and unsnap the sling.

[ 12-24-2003: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

I have a Nimrod pack system with the rifle scabbard. It is very well designed.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit any of my more recent, large rifle setups.

I also use the Eberlestock Gunslinger pack. It is great. Keeps your hands free, able to carry all of your gear, pull the rifle out in a snap when you want it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.