Too much horsepower for coyote?

I actually prefer heavier "deer" or match type bullets on all my coyote rigs. Shot placement covers a lot of sins but I see more damage from "varmint" bullets than anything and I get to look at a lot of them every year buying carcass coyotes as a side business.

Right now I am shooting a 52g Match in my .223, a 55g SGK in my .22-250 (loaded some 45 tsx but no kills with them yet), an 85TSX in a couple .243s, and a 105 berger in my 6-06 (the 6-06 is not intended for close range at all).

Attachments

• IMG_7136.jpg
    IMG_7136.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 183
I hear you man! Down in Texas, I got a few with the 180gr Berger Hybrids and split them in half... I figured a lighter bullet would be less devastating on the little guys up here.

I don't worry bout them too much ...lol I got a 308 savage 4x16 (my deer rifle) also a NV scope... with QD mounts (DPMS 308).. As you can see , I been busy killin stuff... I got a lot of work to do to save my lease for deer this year.... I use a Hornady TAPP 168 gr... because I may have to shoot 400 yds or more....at night 200.... I got big hogs 400 lbs, Cougars, and when I get a shot at one , I want the biggest hole I can get , entry and exit.

Attachments

• 15895310_10202814518040541_3491997444469075173_n.jpg
    15895310_10202814518040541_3491997444469075173_n.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 151
I hear you man! Down in Texas, I got a few with the 180gr Berger Hybrids and split them in half... I figured a lighter bullet would be less devastating on the little guys up here.

I don't worry bout them hides too much ...lol I got a 308 savage 4x16 (my deer rifle) also a NV scope... with QD mounts (DPMS 308).. As you can see , I been busy killin stuff... I got a lot of work to do to save my lease for deer this year.... I use a Hornady TAPP 168 gr... because I may have to shoot 400 yds or more....at night 200.... I got big hogs 400 lbs, Cougars, and when I get a shot at one , I want the biggest hole I can get , entry and exit. 12 ga 870 always, with 3" coyote specials..

Attachments

• 15895310_10202814518040541_3491997444469075173_n.jpg
    15895310_10202814518040541_3491997444469075173_n.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Many of my coyotes have been shot incidental to deer hunting, and taken at ranges greater then 500 yards. At these distances, using the same 6.5 bullets(140VLD @3000FPS) used for game, pelts are usually not damaged.

Grey Fox,
I don't get a lot of long range shots, here.... a lot of brush, woods and flat land....except on a ranch where I can go 700 yds or more....but I'm a predator hunter.... If pelts were good down here I might think about a FMJ for them, but I run into some big hogs here, and prefer shooting those long range and putting big holes in them.... It just doesn't happen that way, most of the time... Its usually close and many piglets around the sows.... No time to change bullets.... I just try to keep the numbers down to help my deer herd....I have been forced to stand up on the seat of my ATV before, as one hit the front of it and one hit the back wheel....I had to use my shotgun stock to hang onto for balance, until they took off and then I used it on 3 of them, with 00 buck.

Grey Fox,
I don't get a lot of long range shots, here.... a lot of brush, woods and flat land....except on a ranch where I can go 700 yds or more....but I'm a predator hunter.... If pelts were good down here I might think about a FMJ for them, but I run into some big hogs here, and prefer shooting those long range and putting big holes in them.... It just doesn't happen that way, most of the time... Its usually close and many piglets around the sows.... No time to change bullets.... I just try to keep the numbers down to help my deer herd....I have been forced to stand up on the seat of my ATV before, as one hit the front of it and one hit the back wheel....I had to use my shotgun stock to hang onto for balance, until they took off and then I used it on 3 of them, with 00 buck.

My family's ranch is in Willis...I think we have the only piece of property that size without hogs on it, anymore, in Texas! We used to get packs of 25-30 on the feeders every night. We could shoot one or two, leave them, and wait 30 minutes, and the pack would come back, and we could shoot some more. Haven't seen a hog, or signs of them, on the 1000 acres in six or eight years.

Back to the "too much horsepower," though. I don't save pelts and only shoot the coyotes because they are a nuisance to the owners' interests on the other properties I hunt. I've got no issue with results akin to prairie dog hunting. If I can push a light bullet really fast, why not? Certainly something different than my usual deer and hog hunting.

My feelings are that Coyotes, Bobcats, and Fox deserve your respect. If your into Fur then Look at the 17 Remington. My experience is that with the right bullet you hardly ever get and exit hole. Perfect Pelt. If you can still get them Todd Kindlers Golds in 30gr are excellent or the 25gr Berger. When Calling Coyotes you don't want a 7mm when a $400 Bobcat comes in. Prime Coyotes with properly handled Pelts add up @ $50 each. Gray Fox at $40
Nothing gets me more upset than to see somone blow a Prime Bobcat in half.
For close range on Cats I use a 17 Hornet with a 23gr WCD bullet. Coyotes well under 100yds and a well placed shot most all end up in the back of my truck. Exit holes whats that??

I suppose there are those that feel damaging prairie dog pelts isn't respecting the animal, too. Not a trapper, so I don't care. Dead quickly is my preference.

HUGE difference between a Prairie Dog or a rodent and a Prime Bobcat worth $$$$$

Just found out how much money there is to be made off a bobcat pelt a few weeks ago! I can't count how many of those guys I've blasted over the years and just thrown in a garbage sack and tossed it in the trash. Makes me sick to think of how much cash I've just thrown away. None of them were in poor shape. I just wanted them gone after attacking my chickens and other livestock. I could've at least financed my entire hunting setup!

HUGE difference between a Prairie Dog or a rodent and a Prime Bobcat worth $$$$$

Well, as per the title of the thread, I'm talking coyotes. Seen lots of bobcats, but never bothered taking the shots. Either way, I'm not a trapper and don't have an interest in skinning pests.

How much is your time worth............a big Tom with good color can go for over $1000 I think that's worth your time and effort. Once you get the hang of it, skinning, fleshing, and doing a good Nevada Stretch is worth that.
Two of my best Toms done right are beautiful and never made it to the Fur Sale ........My wife has then hanging in our living Room.

Check out the Video " Top Dollar Cats"

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.