Ghillie Suit...Too much?

As was mentioned, they are hot, and just another thing to have to have in the arsenal. I have never used one and have not had a problem. Scent and movement seem to be the big no-nos when hunting the dogs. I use just ordinary military camo stuff, lay back against a rock or bush to minimize my body form, don't move and stay put for 15 or 20 minutes. I use both hand and an electronic caller. Much of the time, coyotes are just not in the area, or aren't hungry because there is an abundance of rabbits, ground squirrels, etc. If they don't show, it's all part of the game. I usually try to complete a pre-hunt trip, calling during the evening hours to see if I can get a response. I don't like to waste time doing random set-ups where the animals are just not around. I always get permission if I shoot on ranches, and ask the rancher where he has seen or heard coyotes, and always make sure that the rancher knows when I will be hunting and if he or his wife has a problem with the sound of noisy gunshots.

A Ghillie suit might be nice to consider, but to me it is just another piece of equipment that I would have to put on, take off when changing hunting locations, put on again after moving to a new location, take off again, etc. A person can go nuts will all the "stuff" that he thinks is required. I use only a large back pack for everything I need, and carry my rifle. The pack holds my camera, callers, binoculars, range-finder, camo gloves and face mask, and water. I sometimes keep a piece of camo fabric in the pack in case I need to break up my body form if I can't find any other cover, but I don't use it as a rule.
I don't carry any more ammo than what is on the spandex ammo holder on the rifle stock (I think it holds nine rounds).

Last edited:
You dont need a suit, also as you said you will be taking it off and putting it back on all day when you move from spot to spot.

alternativly you can make a veil that is like a gillie suit but you dont wear it but put it over you like a blanket.it is still constructed the same way and everything

Personally, I wouldn't bother w/ them.

I've heard that they are heavy and hot?

coyotes notice movement and scent primarily (especially during daylight) I truly believe that you can call and shoot coyotes wearing a Santa Clause suit if you keep your movement to a minumum.

Ghillies may have their place when trying to shoot one with a bow, or on cats too. Cats hunt primarily with their eyes.

Just my opinion.

HAHA so true though. Yotes really will come in if youre wearing anything, its mostly about staying still and scent blocker. Cats on the other hand are 60% hearing 40% visual hunters so i would suggest you break the thick camo and paralytic hallucinogens out for that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.