Too Frugal to shoot?

RODSTRADLEY

I live in rural Ohio and have a private range, with pistol and up to 300yd rifle. This year there were only two friends that came out to shoot pistol and nothing for deer gun season or any other shooting. I usually see 15-30 friends and neighbors coming over every year just for Deer. Haven't seen anybody to ask yet, so my thoughts are the cost of the sport now?

I live in rural Ohio and have a private range, with pistol and up to 300yd rifle. This year there were only two friends that came out to shoot pistol and nothing for deer gun season or any other shooting. I usually see 15-30 friends and neighbors coming over every year just for Deer. Haven't seen anybody to ask yet, so my thoughts are the cost of the sport now?
Where at in Ohio rod?

I agree, cost of EVERYTHING has gotten way out of hand! Still surprised no one came to see you for deer season. Hunting areas are getting tougher and tougher to find in Ohio. I lost my 20yr. area to a development up here in Medina. Grateful I had it for a bit, but still made me whine like a little kid for awhile. Went from pic 1 to pick 2 in a matter of days when they clear cut it. If you blow up #2, you can see my stand sitting in the middle of absolutely nothing. 😢
DE5D4C01-CF94-4DD5-A7C0-AB6279029CB1.jpeg
CB86FAEE-744D-4FA9-8373-414E0BA6EC0E.jpeg

There has also been some horrendous weather in parts of the country recently making travel a little more impossible. I know it's been raining in NE Ohio this last week and I don't really care to unload, set up and shoot in the rain.

My other thought is that there is a substantial shift towards paying more and closer attention to our families considering the economic fallout from the current administration's policies. I see smaller crowds at the store, on the roads and even in church. Some of this may be from the continuing alerts for the next generation virus that always seem to be cropping up when the last one loses steam. The price of fuel is falling slightly in my area of the country but food prices are incredibly more expensive.

I don't have the urge to drive around and visit or even see other people these days. I despise wearing masks and Southwest's failure in my market has curtailed my air travel. I go to the shop and return home. The savings in fuel is nice.

Maybe shooting for entertainment is on the decline in some areas, who knows?

:(

I agree, cost of EVERYTHING has gotten way out of hand! Still surprised no one came to see you for deer season. Hunting areas are getting tougher and tougher to find in Ohio. I lost my 20yr. area to a development up here in Medina. Grateful I had it for a bit, but still made me whine like a little kid for awhile. Went from pic 1 to pick 2 in a matter of days when they clear cut it. If you blow up #2, you can see my stand sitting in the middle of absolutely nothing. 😢View attachment 426222View attachment 426224
Love that deer stand!

I was shooting 300rds a week of centerfire rifle, pistol and x2 rimfire (I am an instructor) Not being able to replace components and then finding primers for 100/1000 locally has slowed down most of my shooting outside of classes. Rimfire has been picking up alot of slack and I put a trap in the cellar to start shooting an air pistol and rifle