Toledo Bend MLF

Lee7588

I was watching MLF Bass Pro tour on Toledo Bend yesterday group a day 2. Jacob Wheeler had caught something like 91 lbs on the first day. When watching them I realized that all they are doing now is playing a video game. They stare at a screen to look at the fish, cast to the fish, hook it , then reel it in all while watching live target or active target. Where did fishing go wrong? Seems like next thing that is going to happen is they aren't even going to leave their couch and fish on their PlayStation. I sure hope MLF changes this or a new tournament comes along.

I experienced the same thing yesterday when I asked a buddy about his newly acquired bass boat. He showed me all the techy stuff that was on the boat and meanwhile I was thinking..."nothing but a floating video game", and what happened to fishing. Sorry, not for me I guess, but "whatever floats your boat".

You are being paid essentially, every advantage is an investment that will increase your paycheck, it stopped being fishing many years ago, this is just the next stage.

Kinda like smokeless muzzleloaders and high power optic combos played in and then back out of the game in certain western states.

If a guy is fishing for fun or like the majority of my friends, filling the freezer with crappie, it's just another tool in the toolbox, still have to build the brush piles or find the humps, ledges and drop offs that are holding the fish before you can start using the sideview sonar.

You are being paid essentially, every advantage is an investment that will increase your paycheck, it stopped being fishing many years ago, this is just the next stage.

Kinda like smokeless muzzleloaders and high power optic combos played in and then back out of the game in certain western states.

If a guy is fishing for fun or like the majority of my friends, filling the freezer with crappie, it's just another tool in the toolbox, still have to build the brush piles or find the humps, ledges and drop offs that are holding the fish before you can start using the sideview sonar.
Gotta agree here. I'm a hardcore bass guy and though I don't do it nearly as much as I want to these days it sure makes the trips funnier when you can go out and catch something. I've had many a trip dragging my tail back to the ramp without as much as a fish smelling my bait.

I agree that catching is way more fun than not. And is sucks when people ask how I did and I tell them I got skunked. I just see where the tournaments are heading and they might as well setup a bunch of video games consoles and stay off the water, it would be cheaper. But I'm also one of those guys that doesn't want to hunt a high fence where I pick out my animal in a photo album before the hunt

Where did fishing go wrong? Watching fishing on TV is NOT fishing. The people you are complaining about wouldn't exist if somebody wasn't laying on their couch watching.

I agree to an extent. Live target and active target is relatively new , so we will see how tv fishing will progress. I was talking a buddy that fishes too MLF tour and was on BASS tour he was saying some of the guys he fishes against have transponders on the trolling motor plus one on each power pole so they can use the live targets. Just not the same skills that Bill Dance, Jimmy Houston, Roland Martin, etc have.

Here is 2 huge thumbs up to these guys

Toledo Bend was the Bassmasters Elite Series not MLF.

Forward Facing Sonar is here to stay. Yes you can see the fish but you still have to catch them.

It's kinda like a $3,000 rangefinder you still have to hit the target.

And not all fishermen or hunters can afford either. Does that make it unfair?

I've been a Mfg.Rep in the hunting and fishing industry for 5o+ years, change is inevitable.

Toledo Bend was the Bassmasters Elite Series not MLF.

Forward Facing Sonar is here to stay. Yes you can see the fish but you still have to catch them.

It's kinda like a $3,000 rangefinder you still have to hit the target.

And not all fishermen or hunters can afford either. Does that make it unfair?

I've been a Mfg.Rep in the hunting and fishing industry for 5o+ years, change is inevitable.
Toledo Bend was MLF

Going to a high fence hunt and the staff walking the animal out on a leash and tying to post. Then someone shooting it doesn't make it hunting just because you pulled the trigger

The 2 guys that turned off their sonars were fishing, not looking like teenage kids staring at their screens. Forward facing sonar maybe here to stay but doesn't mean that it should be allowed in tournaments.

Toledo Bend was MLF

Going to a high fence hunt and the staff walking the animal out on a leash and tying to post. Then someone shooting it doesn't make it hunting just because you pulled the trigger

The 2 guys that turned off their sonars were fishing, not looking like teenage kids staring at their screens. Forward facing sonar maybe here to stay but doesn't mean that it should be allowed in tournaments.
These are $100,000 dollar or more tournaments. If you think they are going away , it ain't going to happen!

These are $100,000 dollar or more tournaments. If you think they are going away , it ain't going to happen!
Until either one of us is running the tournaments we won't ever know what is in the future. Yes they have some high payouts but they have also changed their payout schedule to where less money is going to the competitors. The MLF and BASS both having TV shows have to answer to viewers in order to keep the shows. If they loose their viewership, they have to adjust.