To use or not to use 300gr SMK on ELK

I have to agree with JE Custom, about 6 years ago I did use 190SMK's on a Barbary Sheep hunt in my 300 Win Mag because they shot so well. I grassed a sheep at about 315 yards and set up on him. I sent one shot and it hit right in the sweetspot, right behind the shoulder. The sheep did not go down, I quickly chambered and fired a 2nd and 3rd, but still he stood there. I had a Nosler 180 Balistic tip on my belt, so I quick chambered it and let it go. On impact the sheep fell over. On examining the animal all three shots of the SMK were just right behind the shoulder in a group no bigger than a baseball, all were small entrance and exits, pencil width small. The ballistic tip made a huge hole. In hind site, I should have hit the high shoulder, like the African game we shoot!

I for one will never use the SMK's in my 300 Win again, but having said that, I have had great luck with the 250SMK's in my 338. A top sniper friend of mine who is well noted, told me the same thing JE Custom indicated. He likes and shoots the Nosler AB's.

I guess I am just stubburn! My 2 cent's

the 300 SMK is all i use.....even on small games its deadly...here are a couple of shots from my fallow deer hunt in the weekend.

these shots were 747 yards and 807 yards out of my savage 110BA

i also shot about 20 wild goats at similar ranges with no issues

Attachments

• 2011-09-24 12.26.14.jpg
    2011-09-24 12.26.14.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 189
  • 2011-09-24 12.26.54.jpg
    2011-09-24 12.26.54.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 157
Thanks for the info everybody. I'm going to limit my range to 500 yards max and use the SMK. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post in a few weeks.

Thanks for the info everybody. I'm going to limit my range to 500 yards max and use the SMK. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post in a few weeks.

That's barely long range and virtually no need for a precision match bullet at that distance--plenty of bullets will do the job at that distance. That bullet will do fine out of you 338 Lap 3x that far. Don't limit yourself.

If I were you, I would look seriously at the new 300g Berger Hybrid instead of the SMK. On game performance appears very similar to the 300 SMK with a better BC and some think better overall shooting precision and consistency that Berger seems to be known for. Carlock has switched to it. I just killed a 4x4 Muley at 580yds and 15 deg angle two nights ago with the Berger--it was very dead--caliber size entrance and big exit wound. There's a 9/21 post here in the bear hunting section where Carlock's sister in law hit a bear at 776yd with it as well. Similar performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.