To load or not to load 80grain 223

From what you guys are saying I'm not really wanting to try the 80 grain, it could shoot good but most likely I don't think it will.

So looks like I'll be sending them back, you think going max weight like 77grains is what I should get? I always thought in the middle would be best.

About the shortest OAL the ELD-M bullets should be seated is 2.390". I shoot a bunch of them out of my 1-7 twist custom bolt action, but my barrel is chambered for them. My COAL is 2.550" shooting the 75 & 80 grain ELD-M's.

With an AR, stick with the 75 or 77 grain BTHP bullet. If you can get some ASC metal magazines, you can load them out to 2.300" with them. They are the only AR magazine that I use.

I'll be happy if I can keep it under an inch consistently which according to tests should do that, I would have bought recon with free floated barrel but has been unavailable so I took patrol cause I could get it and I'm gonna free float barrel so hope that helps, think I got a ride trigger in it and polished it up a little and now about 2.5 pounds, I like it, just want to get the accuracy out of it, 55 grain VMAX are like 1.5 or more at hundred, not really happy with that.
What powder?

Pick up a couple boxes of different quality factory ammo and see if your gun shoots any of it MOA or better.

From what you guys are saying I'm not really wanting to try the 80 grain, it could shoot good but most likely I don't think it will.
They may shoot very well but you will most likely have to single load them because they will not fit in a magazine because of there length. I wouldn't waste my time with them if it was me.

The 73gr ELDM is made for AR mag length and the G1 BC for them is .398, the Sierra 77gr match king is .372. They both shoot great out of my 18" 1-8" AR at mag length.

I shoot the 75 and 80 gr ELDM out of a 1-8" Tikka Varmint, but I load them to aroung 2.50" COAL.

Nosler load data for the 80 grn CC shows for OAL 2.260", that would be magazine length!
This is where you can see Nosler
But you have Hornady, so look in the Horandy load data.
I loaded those at mag length back around 2007? Anyways I put on a cannelure on the bullet myself for shites and gaggles. The bullet design might have changed but the ogive was very tight to the crimp. I made it work but with today's choices of bullets I wouldn't do it again. It really depends on the application. AR15's a general purpose truck gun for me. Varmints, predators are the primary jobs. So a tipped 53 VMAX for most varmints out to 400 yards. And probably 73-75 ELDM for longer range work or heavier game.

I loaded those at mag length back around 2007? Anyways I put on a cannelure on the bullet myself for shites and gaggles. The bullet design might have changed but the ogive was very tight to the crimp. I made it work but with today's choices of bullets I wouldn't do it again. It really depends on the application. AR15's a general purpose truck gun for me. Varmints, predators are the primary jobs. So a tipped 53 VMAX for most varmints out to 400 yards. And probably 73-75 ELDM for longer range work or heavier game.
I have a box, openned, and I have an AR with 24" bull barrel, I want to try them in. A friend was loading them with Varget and BR4 primers in simillar gun and was getting 1/4" group at 100 yards.

Nosler load data for the 80 grn CC shows for OAL 2.260", that would be magazine length!
This is where you can see Nosler
But you have Hornady, so look in the Horandy load data.
I have a box, openned, and I have an AR with 24" bull barrel, I want to try them in. A friend was loading them with Varget and BR4 primers in simillar gun and was getting 1/4" group at 100 yards.
I'd check for bullet movement after feeding from the mag. As you know if the bullets gets seated deeper the pressures will rise. If you have a Lee Factory Crimp die I'd trim the brass and put a crimp on there. That is if you see movement.

I'd check for bullet movement after feeding from the mag. As you know if the bullets gets seated deeper the pressures will rise. If you have a Lee Factory Crimp die I'd trim the brass and put a crimp on there. That is if you see movement.
Thanks, Yeah, I'll have to work up the load. I would not start with what he had, 1). I am not sure his exact OAL and 2), his was higher than what Nosler has. So I will have to work up.

Thanks, Yeah, I'll have to work up the load. I would not start with what he had, 1). I am not sure his exact OAL and 2), his was higher than what Nosler has. So I will have to work up.
I'm sure you'll be fine. It sounds like you've been doing this for awhile. I just wanted to speak up in case any beginning reloader was going to try. I wouldn't want to jeopardize anyone's safety.

So the 68 grain which says 1/9 twist on box may be better in that twist than in 1/8 twist, may explain why they are so so in my 1/8 twist
Not normally. Overspinning a bullet generally is not detrimental. Once the bullet is stable, it stays stable. Overspinning it should only allow it to remain stable a bit longer in its path.

Last edited:
No. If you have a 1/8 twist barrel you can use 1/8, 1/8.5 1/9, 1/9.5, etc. You can't use a 1/7.
Not written in stone though…. Velocity matters ad do environmental issues. Some will stabilize sufficiently in a slower twist. I get away with shooting a 103 gr Bart Hammer in a 9 twist 6BR-DX that shouldn't work.
No substitute for putting holes in paper downrange and seeing what happens.

Not normally. Overspinning a bullet generally is not detrimental. Once the bullet is stable, it stays stable. Overspinning it should only allow it to remain stable a but longer in its path.
Typically the "twist" rate listed is the recommended minimum. There might be some exceptions, but not in your case.

Recent Posts