Tipping standard for a hunting guide?

MOJO67

Just curious what the standard tip amount/percentage is nowadays for a guide? Did a hunt last weekend and am about to send the ranch owner/giude the final payment + tip. It was a smallish property at 500 acres and the ranch owner hosted, cooked a couple of meals and provided transportation to and from the blinds during our 2 day Black Buck hunt. It was just me and my son. I didn't hunt, just sat in the blind with my son. He technically didn't do any guiding, so to speak. The final bill included the lodging, meals and the fee for the animal. What do you guy's think an appropriate tip amount should be?

Wow! I was way off. Total all in price was $3400. I was thinking $200 for the tip amount. Glad I asked!

The one guided trip was all in. I tipped 15% of total price and that covered everyone, the guide and cook. It was discussed before the hunt. I had different guides some days. It was not a surprise. I thought it was fair as I am sure the cook is often over looked. I did give my guide my kestrel when I left as he liked to know the elevation, he was a bit of adventurer. Great people all around

Thanks

Buck

Totally depends on the experience, amount of effort involved in the specific hunt and most importantly, the amount of effort the guide, outfit or team put into maximizing your opportunities as the hunter. I've tipped from 0% to 50% based on these credentials. Based on the description of your hunt, I'd probably tip 10% - 15%, but that's just me. As others have mentioned, don't forget the cook and support staff (housekeeping, skinners or bird boys, etc.).

Tip is earned nothing is set ever for me period. Land size doesn't matter for me. Who is the guide the landowner? Did he just sell you a landowner tag, provide lodging, some meals, and transportation to a blind? How many days, meals, and transportation did he provide? More info and I would be happy to give my input in regards to a tip

3400 for two days, owner is the driver, not really guiding when you drive a guy out, put him on a stand in a baited or high fence hunt. He was also chief cook and bottle washer. In that scenario, unless something about the experience REALLY impressed me, no tip. At $1700 a day, he is making real good money already. Outside of the trophy fee, I can stay at a REALLY swanky place including food, like the Ritz Carlton, for $1,700 a day and most hunt camps don't qualify as swanky. If he wants to make more, price the hunt higher and see who still buys.

I really do think it matters if the guide is also the owner/ operator, if he's just an employee that makes a difference

The owner/rancher did everything. Cooked us 2 dinners and a 1 breakfast, took us to/from the blind on 3 separate occasions on his mule. Also caped the Black Buck my son shot, but charged us for it. We brought or own snacks and drinks as well. We arrived on Friday eve. Hunted Sat morn and afternoon, as well as Sunday morn. Left around noon on Sunday. That was about the extent of it.

Depends on the hunt.......5 day hunt $6500.....He's gone 5 days from his family, busting his butt.......I'll tip $1000 atleast and I've gone as high last $2500. Booner animal.......hell I may give him my rifle lol. If he's not a great guide (And I've had a couple), he's late, or lazy or stayed drunk 1/2 the time.....then sure I don't reward much for that for sure......I've been on hunts where I've guided the guide sometimes. But generally most all guides are hard workers, knowledgable and great ethics and deserve respect and your pocket book.