timney trigger or shilen?

Sasquatch

I am wanting to get a rem 700 trigger down around 2 lbs. pull weight so that both of my rifles have the same pull, closer on feel. My old factory trigger on my .06 will go down to 2 and 2 ounces and stay strong, and I want to get one that will do the same for my 300. the newer trigger in it will only hold up until I get down to 3 and 2 ounces.

I have noticed that both the timney and shilen triggers are marketed to go down to 2 lbs or less. what one do you recommend?

Sasquatch, I think either one would be good. However, I would recommend going with a Jewell trigger. I have them on all of my rifles and absolutly love them. I use two types of Jewell trigger's. On my 6.5x284, I use the AJ03 model. This one doesn't have a safety and is set at 2oz. The other model I use, AJ04, is set up just for Remington actions and can be adjusted from 1-1/2oz to 4 pounds and does have a safety. The pull is sooooooooooooooo!!!! crisp on the Jewell. Well, that was my 2 cents worth. However, if you are dead set on deciding between the Timney or the Shilen, I would go with the SHILEN. Good luck Sas, and let me know which one you decide on. Wildcat.

Jewell triggers are the cadallic of triggers. Rifle Basix is the trigger that Dave Gentry uses with his safety Rem conversions. I've been pleased with my Rifle Basix(running at 2#). Shilen is better than Timney. Good luck.

sasquatch,
I agree with wildcat and wapiti that a jewell is the best, but if you dont want to spend $150-$200 the rifle basix and shilen are good options, if you are just looking for a nice crisp 2# pull call holland gunsmithing and just get a spring kit for about $20, the timney is actualy a down grade from a stock 700 trigger.
UB

I did not vote because it does not tell the story. I have a timmny trigger. It (or me) has a small issue of slowly getting too light and having to be reset after about 200 rds. This results in a safety issue creeping up on you which is really bad with a hunting rifle. It is not hard to reset. Maybe all of the after market triggers are this way, I don't know. I just know that carrying a gun around in cold weather, wearing heavy gear and gloves or falling down on a steep slope is scary with a hair trigger. I now try to think about the feel of the trigger before it gets to hunting season.

P.S. My trigger is 10 years old so I do not know if this is still an issue with their current triggers. Its a nice trigger and fine for hunting if you keep it adjusted. Would I buy another one? Maybe for what you are doing, but not for a start from scratch custom gun.

#1- Jewell
#2- Shilen
#3- Factory worked over
#4- If you must, a Timney

I have no experience with the rifle basix, but sounds like they are good from other posts.

You could send your factory trigger to Neil Jones and he will get it to 2 lbs safely and with a crisp let-off. He charges $50 including S&H.

I've had a few done, including a Rem trigger which is set @ 1 lb for varmint work, and am very happy with his work.

thanks for the replies guys.
I want about a 2 pound pull just so I feel comfortable hiking and climbing with the rifle during hunting/stalking situations.
I don't see myself getting a jewell trigger until I start a full custom rifle in the spring. I will definately stay away from the timney and am leaning towards the rifle basix trigger. I may get the spring kit at the same time I order the trigger, just to see what I can do.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.