Rifle Basix or Timney trigger

I've never had the chance to use a Timney, but I do have 3 RBs in my Savages. I use the hunting model, 1-3.5 lbs if I remember right, never had a problem with any of them.

Since I'm not a gunsmith it takes me a little tinkering to get them where I want them, but once there, they are smooth, crisp, and reliable.

Chris

I've had a RB for several hunting seasons and it has worked fine. It is easy to install and adjust.

Not trying to hijack, but how's your brother doing?

I have a very old Timney and I like it. I deliberately put and keep a lot of slack in it. I do not know what improvements have been made in the last 20 years.

I have installed a few timneys in remington 700 actions and 1 howa - they are wonderful. I like the simple adjustments, the wide trigger and the amazingly crisp break. The instructions are written for someone who already knows what to do but needs a reminder.

I can't speak for the rifle basix, but I've been wondering also - since they are noticeably cheaper.

I have both, but I prefer the Timney by a slight margin. Very slight. The Timney installed a little easier, and the adjustments seem more.... well... linear. The Rifle Basix took quite a while to get just where I wanted it.

Both locked down well, though, and haven't needed any service since.

I had and RB last year on a 700 LA that almost wouldn't allow the safety mechanism to work. Some pretty nasty galling occured on the trig body. Sent it back to RB...they basically told me it was working fine. OK. Timney Sportsman (I think) worked OK before the RB for a couple of years, but then parts were worn. Timney probably has better trigs that the one I had. After the RB, I purchased a Jewel. Already set at one pound with no creep. Added in some overtravel and it was ready to go in very quick order. Great for LR. All stainless parts-no more worrying about blued steel rusting here and there. If I would've just gotten the Jewel in the first place I would've been much happier several years ago, fyi. Good luck in your decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.