Timney, RifleBasix, or Competition trigger for Savage 110

blackdog

I 'borrowed' a Savage 110 7mm from my brother. He's had it for probably 7-8 years and only put maybe 25 rounds down the tube. Still the same cruddy Bushnell Sportview scope (which had slipped and had the reticles at about a 45 degree angle). Took it to the range and was shooting nice .75moa or less groups.

So now I'll do some scope swapping and put a nice VXIII on it, but I also want a new trigger. Everything I've read says that Timney, Rifle Basix, and Sharp Shooters Supplys Competition trigger are all good. So any thoughts on which one is better? The all seem user friendly as far as adjustments go and the ability to drop into existing gun.

Thoughts?

I've used the RB and the SSS both. The first RB I used was very nice, but on the last 3 I've used I personally think their quality has slipped a bit. If I find myself in need of another trigger for a Savage it will be the one from SSS.

Chris

I have a Timney on a '06, and Rifle Basix on a .223 and 300wm. All three were installed, and set to weight of pull that I wanted, by gunsmiths. I'm happy with all 3. Gunsmith that installed the 2 RB likes and recommends them. I'm assuming because it is easy installation and adjusting settings. Will probably put a RB on another rifle.
I hope what little info I've got helps.
Jeff

I've shot Savages with just about every one out there (including the Canjar with a set trigger) at one time or another. The best one I've used is probably a Sharpshooter Evo that was set at 8oz. The next best one was a kitchen table design I wired out of a hardened piece of A2 one Sunday evening. An old man (may not be alive) living in Idaho asked me if I had any left over scraps of O-1 gauge stock laying around, so I sent him a small box of about a dozen pieces. A month later I get a package in the mail asking me what I thought about this trigger? I installed it about a month later on a 112 single shot rifle. Set it at about 2lb. and went shooting. I was impressed and sent it back to him (after all it was his) with a couple of revisions I felt it needed. I think with a different spring setup, it's better than the Evo. Extremely slick with no noticable creep, or overtravel. I also have a Sav-2 Rifle Basix that's set about 1.5lb. I think it and the standard Sharpshooter are similar, but neither will be as nice as the Evo. For a hunting rifle the one Canjar I shot was really nice. I liked it better than most any trigger I've used in a hunting rifle. The Evo was a joint design with either Bob Greanleaf or M.L. McPherson and the Sharpshooter folks. Both Greanleaf and McPherson have Savage trigger designs of their own, but which one escapes me. Then there is the on again off again Jewell trigger for Savage that may appear someday.
gary

Appreciate all the input. Although I'm getting the sense that it's kind of a coin flip and that I really won't go wrong with any of the three choices.

I know this thread is old, but has answered some questions I would inquire about. I too am looking for a replacement trigger for the accutrigger (only issue I don't care for is the need to reset bolt on occasion). You know that part where you pull just enough and decide to not pull all the way.

You can get a timney or a rifle basix. I think there are more but I can't seem to remember the others.

I'm thinking just the Trigger it self....maybe a couple springs, and an allen wrench? It's been awhile. I remember being somewhat taken aback at the cost, but after I got it in, I was very pleased with the results. I'd do it again.

I've read on product page and/or place of purchase that some were missing a spring(s) or other small items required for that trigger. Being on manufacturers site it doesn't list anything but the trigger (no small parts) as far as the Timney trigger for the accu-trigger.

Recent Posts