Time of calling sequence

cornchuck

I was wondering how long you coyote callers are blowing your mouths calls or playing your e-callers before you shut them off. I heard somewhere that you play a sound (mouth call or e-called) for about 30 secs. Also read that some callers play a sound up to 5 mins then sit in silence for a few minutes then start again.

Also, how long do you play a sound before switching to a different sound?

I am east of the Mississippi river where the coyote has more cover. And I try to stay on stand for about 45 mins.

I would like to hear what you guys are doing.

Jason

With mouth calls, I will call for about 20-30 secs and sit for a few mins and watch. The first call, I start out with a real low volume. It is amazing how well these things can hear. After a few calls at low volume, if nothing has come in, I start blowing harder to get the louder sound. I have found that if you start off at high volume, you can spook a coyote away that was really close.

On my electric caller, I also start off at low volume. I just leave the sound running the whole time on my ecaller. As time goes along, I go higher on the volume to reach out to the ones that may be farther out.

I also start my calling at a low volume. With my mouth calls and my e-caller. When I first get to a stand, I will sit there to let things settle down. Then start my calling. I try not to use the same sounds as the stand before.

Thank you korhil for the reply.

Jason

I've been running my e-caller bout half to 3/4 volume and let it run for a minute or two then mute it for 2 to 3 minutes. ...usually before I hit play again I've got something sneakin up.... I need to get a decoy lol. ...last one I killed was only 5 yards from me and took the 32g v max from my 204 ruger right to the nose.

I get my sounds on the computer and use an amazing free program to cut and make tracks with various calls... And put them in 16-21 minute sets. I generally start out with a quieter rabbit distress for the first sound.... It goes for a minute and a half or so... The silence. Then a louder rabbit....silence.... Lightening jack.... Silence...yote locator/challenge.... Silence.... Pup distress.... Silence.... Different lightening jack.

That's the 16 minute set that brings in the most mutts. If I've used this set at a location before.. Then the next time I use my 20 minute set that has absolutely no duplicate calls from the 16 minute set. I've found that yotes seem to recall my 16 minute set if I use it again at a stand where it's been used.... And I just get a lot of nothing. I've never actually had to use my 21 minute set, but I have it handy just in case.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.