Interesting morning of calling

Tikkamike

Yesterday morning my good buddy and I went to see if we could call in a coyote. The first stand we set up a foxpro on a great looking stand and after about 20 minutes with no activity we moved on. The second stand we found was very non traditional. it looked more like bobcat country than anything. we were a few hundred yards from a natural gas well um in the rocks calling down into something similar to the needles. This time we decided to use mouth calls. I recently bought a Dan Thompson howler that I have been trying to master so we decided to try it out. I let a few barks and squeeky puberty-esk sounding howls ( i am really horrible with it I get a few good ones out but some sound like plain garbage) Anyway nothing responded so we took turns using our rabbit squallers and I let out a few more howls from various calls and we were about to call it a stand when I looked down and say a coyote standing on a point 320 yards away, I was behind a rick that I had thought looked like a good shooting rest but I failed to try it out and it was a little bit high for a solid rest. I was trying to get situated and he was slowly coming to us then he changed his mind and wandered off. I could have taken a shot at 300 I could get him in the scope it just wasnt solid, I now kind of wish I had just flung one out there but a missed coyote would feel worse than a missed opportunity for sure! Anyway I found it interesting and slightly encouraging that you can throw a huge array of calls to a coyote and you just never know which sound will perk their interest. We threw probably 6 different sounds at him for 20 minutes then he finally poked his head out. Good learning experience I thought, I also learned I need to make sure im in a good shooting position for any possible shots rather than assuming.

Since you didn't shoot, that coyote can probably be called in again on a different day. Especially if he just lost interest and kinda sauntered off without getting spooked. If you would've shot and missed, he would be educated to alot of sounds in just one "class session". I would guess that either he came from a long ways off (Dans' howlers are great for long range calling) or the illusion of hearing more than one coyote finally peaked his interest.

I fully know how you feel about not being steady enough for the shot. A yote is pretty **** small at 300 yds. That's about the furthest distance I feel I can shoot one from the sitting position with good backrest/support and the gun on sticks or bipod. Any further than 300 (or if I don't have a backrest) I feel the need to get prone on the bipod.

Good Luck, you still may get that coyote later on.

You guys wouldn't happen to know John Haslam would you? I believe he used (maybe still does?) live around the Basin area.

Reason I ask is that I lost his number long ago and I'd like to get in touch with him. We had a mutual friend pass away the day after Christmas (Dan Thompson of Rawlins, WY).

No I don't know him... sorry to hear about Dan. I actually just bought one of his calls, and love it. I plan to buy more. Ill look in the phone book and see if I can find a number and pass it along.

Thanks, I'd like to get his number if you're able to locate it.

Might get em while you can, we don't know if they'll be available for much longer.? Rumor heard is that John Haslam will be taking over/carrying on the call business, but that is unknown for sure at this time. I heard that there were outstanding orders at the time of Dans' passing, so I am pretty sure they can't fill any new orders until someone can step up to fill Dans' shoes and make the calls. He did the majority of it right in his garage.

You definitely did the right thing by passing on the shot, Mike. There could have been a number of reasons it took so long for him to show. Calling coyotes can be a lot like bass fishing--you never know what they might be "biting on" on a given day. Sometimes you just have to try some stuff and see what happens. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Mike, last week I had one like that, and he was about 150 yds and stuck his head up twice, couldn't get a shot. I gave up on the calls in this area, since the last two hunts; I gave a rabbit call, the coyotes stopped howling and left the area. ???
I think someone else has been in the area and over done it, using a call.

I learned the same lessons years ago, don't take the shot unless you feel comfortable with it because a coyote is a FAST learner, and an "educated" coyote is alot harder to call in a second time! I've seen many educated coyotes sneek in, kind of like a bobcat, and the only thing I could see would be their heads. Makes for tough shooting. I usually carry 4-5 different calls and I start with a short range call, just in case there is one bedded down nearby. If nothing happens after about 10 mins. I switch to a louder call and then to a different sound. Don't be afraid to experiment with different sounds. Coyotes are opportunitist, they will eat almost anything. Don't overlook the sounds of birds that are native to your area, I have very good success with blue jay and woodpecker in distress sounds. If your calling in areas that get hunted alot, stay on your stand longer, even up to 30-45 mins. I have one of Dan's Red Desert Howler and I'm still learning the language of the coyote. Don't be afraid to experiment and learn from your mistakes. I wish I could've met Dan, he was one of the masters at calling coyotes. my condolences go out to his family and friends, i'm sure he will be missed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.