Time for a new rifle.

So I just got a call from a hunting buddy I used to archery hunt with until I moved. He recently started rifle hunting again so his wife will go with him. He purchased a Sako A7 in .270 caliber and is planning on buying another Sako he likes it so much. But he is trying to sway me towards th Fierce Fury. I checked them out and they guarantee 1/2" moa? Has anyone shot one or know anyone who has?
I really appreciate all the feedback, as it's going into the mill to help me pick out the best rifle for my needs...er...wants.

Good Morning, Kamptown,

Your buddy is a wise hunter.

The only Sako Model I've fired is the AV. However, if other Sako models shoot like it, I'd give them a deserved look.

I had a game warden friend who's now in Heaven. He had more than a few custom made rifles. He told not that not a one would shoot as good as my Sako AV.

I bought my first Sako at a going-out-of-business sale. It was fortuitous for me because I was in the market for what I had assumed was a legitimate elk cartridge. I wrote that because experience has taught me that the Model 700 .270 Win I had already owned, my first big game rifle, would've worked just as good. However, the 7MM Rem Mag is w/o a doubt an excellent elk cartridge. Anyway, I picked it up for about $600 bucks. My next Sako AV in .270 Win cost me a grand. I'm not sure I'd drop 2k on a Sako 85 if a Savage will shoot just as good. But I'm not sure a Savage is as 100% reliable as a Sako. Reliability is beyond crucial when you're looking at a hunt of a lifetime, and it took me darn near a lifetime to get my butt drawn for what might be the best trophy unit in the nation.

If I were accorded a hunting rifle do-over and I cold have one rifle, I'd fork over 2k for a Sako 85 in either .270 Win, .280 Rem, or '06 and never look back. Believe me, I love the 7MM Rem Mag. It will kill everything in North America including the largest bears. But I'd rather carry a lighter rifle with a 22" barrel at Rocky Mountain altitude.

BTW, check out Cabelas gun library. Every once in a while it'll offer Sakos that are darn close to pristine. I've seen used Sako AV's in Cabelas gun library that appeared to be never fired.

I own a circa 1969 Belgian Browning, a US Repeating Arms Winchester Feathereight with CRF, and a Model 700. None come close to my Sakos. They are exceptionally well-crafted rifles. My second best is my 43+ year old Model 700.

Check out this Website: Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

You might consider joining it. That way you can ask questions of Sako fanatics.

My guess is if you buy a Sako, you won't experience a tinge of buyer's remorse.

I wish you the absolute best in your rifle search,

Sans

I would change the Kimber Mountain Ascent to the Kimber MT, and go that route! It'll have the 3 position safety and CRF and claw extractor you are used to with the Ruger!

Other option would be Legendary Arms Works in 7 Rem Mag. They have CRF and 3 position safety as well in a custom rifle wannabe package. I got one that had to go back to the factory to have a new bolt fitted to the rifle, however.

Savages shoot well, but for your budget I would prefer to have something that shot just as well and didn't feel like a savage when I worked the bolt or saw bullets and daylight through the magazine gap. They are great for what they are, an affordable accurate rifle. Your budget can get an accurate rifle with a few more luxuries.

There all awesome rifles, but for big game hunting where your kill area is the size of a basketball up to a beach ball...1/2 minute is not needed...heck if it will shoot 2 inch groups it's more than good enough to be honest,...now if your a real long ranger 400-1000 that's another story but only if you truly are a long range banger, other than in your dreams ...

I shoot a fierce edge 300 WM with stainless barrel and I think it's awesome. Also if you reload it has a really long magazine so that is nice.

I shot ruger m77s for years love the actions mine were not the most accurate but 300 yards and less never had a problem.
My suggestion is get out and handle all of the rifles you are considering and pick the one you are most comfortable with. You might get one that shoots great out of the box or you might not but for the most part you should be able to do a little modification and get it to shoot good enough for what you want.
I would recommend staying away from Sako it is a long story but the short version is they do not stand behind their warranty! The last thing they said to me was that they would be happy to transfer my call to their legal Dept. so that I could take them to court over the issue. Then He said good luck with that and hung up.
If you or anyone wants to get the details on my issue feel free to PM me and I would be happy to explain.

TC Arms rifles are very underrated but they are quite the shooter out of the box. I have had many friends, mostly young airmen; set them up with Ventures as their first ever hunting rifle and they are very pleased with them.

I got my eye on the Compass for exactly what you mentioned, I like the fact that it also comes with pre-threaded muzzle ready for MB or suppressor.
I'll be honest in that part of what scares me off of the TC's and some of the others is that they are so inexpensive.

While it's not always true usually "you get what you pay for" is a pretty good rule of thumb.

With the good reports I constantly see out of the Savage camp as well as with the 783 Remingtons and the "Ruger Americans" I have to admit to rethinking it.

How can they be producing such consistently accurate rifles at a fraction of the price of the more popular 700's, Brownings, etc?

The last time major manufacturers went through a cycle of trying to cut production costs was in the 70's and that was an absolute disaster for Winchester and was none too kind to Remington either.

Thompson has always had a cult following due to the Contender and their ML's and honestly I didn't even realize they were making a bolt action until I caught an episode of Jim Shockey in which he was carrying one.

I've always joked that the reason there's such a vast array of aftermarket parts for the model 700 is the fact there's so much wrong with them coming out of the factory but the truth is, that aftermarket exists because there are more model 700's in circulation than any other and more than probably any five others combined excluding the Model 70.

I was also pretty surprised to see that Thompson is really pushing hard in the international market. There are now several dealers in Africa carrying them and seeing steady growth in sales.

I'd tell anyone thinking seriously about buying a new rifle to jump in with both feet in the next three weeks and get it done though because there's a very good chance that we'll see an enormous run on the market following the first Tuesday in November.

From personal experience I recommend both the Savage Weather Warrior and the Tikka T3, the T3 will be considerably lighter but recoil wont be fun if its too light and not braked (just put a brake on my wifes T3 270 WSM for that reason).

Another rifle I was VERY impressed with just holding and drooling over at Scheels is the Christensen Arms Ridgeline. It was build by some guys who know what the mountain hunting & mid-long range market wants including fast twist rates and extended magazine boxes. I really wish I had one of these to play with for accuracy, at $2200 it has features you'd spend over $3000 to get on a custom build!

I'd tell anyone thinking seriously about buying a new rifle to jump in with both feet in the next three weeks and get it done though because there's a very good chance that we'll see an enormous run on the market following the first Tuesday in November.

Yeah, these sniper rifles we buy with no legitimate sporting purpose. There are several guns I'd like to buy right now with the Smith 627 (8 shot .357) and Ruger #1 on the top of the list. Of course my wife also wants a Glock. Kind of perturbed that my deployment ends after the election and that per diem check will come at least a month later knowing the Army pay system's efficiency.

As for a rifle, I will jump on the Savage bandwagon. They're affordable and accurate and for a little more dough you can build them quite well. I'm just under $2k including initial purchase of the factory rifle. And could have been much lower than that buy going with a few cheaper options. Contrary to popular belief, you can get to 1k pretty cheaply by finding a few of those diamond in the rough products.

Not a 7mm but Steyr Pro Hunter, which is available in 300 Win Mag, would likely meet or exceed all your expectations for a longer range hunting rifle at a very reasonable cost. I had a Winchester EW. It had "all the right parts" but was disappointing in multiple areas and I never warmed up to it. The Steyr is sorta the other way around. Weight, balance, accuracy (first shot too), and carry characteristics in the field, it has it all but not necessarily in a package that scantily clad models can be seen holding in gun magazines. I recently got one in 30-06. Topped it with a old Leopold VX 2, 3x9 that I had in a box and made some handloads with some ancient powder that I wasn't even sure was good anymore (seems to like Federal Primers). 5 shots off my tailgate at 105 yards that I can easily cover with the pad of my thumb. I like this rifle a little more every time I take it out. I kinda didn't expect that.

Not a 7mm but Steyr Pro Hunter, which is available in 300 Win Mag, would likely meet or exceed all your expectations for a longer range hunting rifle at a very reasonable cost. I had a Winchester EW. It had "all the right parts" but was disappointing in multiple areas and I never warmed up to it. The Steyr is sorta the other way around. Weight, balance, accuracy (first shot too), and carry characteristics in the field, it has it all but not necessarily in a package that scantily clad models can be seen holding in gun magazines. I recently got one in 30-06. Topped it with a old Leopold VX 2, 3x9 that I had in a box and made some handloads with some ancient powder that I wasn't even sure was good anymore (seems to like Federal Primers). 5 shots off my tailgate at 105 yards that I can easily cover with the pad of my thumb. I like this rifle a little more every time I take it out. I kinda didn't expect that.

Steyrs are AWESOME rifles. When I worked at the gun store, we would sell them by the truckload, and everyone that came back in raved about them. Part of my job on Saturday mornings before work was to sight-in customer's guns for them, and I've shot a lot of them. I always wanted to get one, but they were a bit out of my price-range back then...Now they carry an even heftier pricetag, like everything else these days. I wish I could still find a brand new 26" 7mmRM stainless Pro Hunter for $499 (what we used to sell them for back then)...I'd jump all over it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.