Time for a new go to gun!

Loper

Looking for advice on a bolt action 22-250. It will be used for coyote hunting mainly, I'd gotten away from this for a number of years (way to long). I have other calibers already that is not an issue. I have AR's. I have been looking at Tikka, Ruger, T/C, Savage... Some guns just feel more solid than others. Stocks on some of them seem noisy. Some have better actions, maybe smoother is better choice of discription. Some triggers are adjustable, some will need a smith or replaced. I like mine around 2.5lbs. Of course accuracy and dependability is the objective.

Pretty hard to go wrong with a Tikka, its only downfall is the fast twist (14 i believe but 55 grainers are no problem. trigger is easily adjustable, action is smooth. its light and easy to maneuver around.

Tikkamike, I didn't know the triggers were adjustable. That does help!

Yote Doctor, like I'd said it's been awhile. I've never heard of CZ. I did some searching and liked what I seen other than what you suggested looked like a heavy barrel gun. I don't mind some weight but I've packed a bull barrel around before and would rather not go quite that heavy.

Nimrodmar 10, I would like to stay under $800-900 for the rifle.

Tikkamike, I didn't know the triggers were adjustable. That does help!

Yote Doctor, like I'd said it's been awhile. I've never heard of CZ. I did some searching and liked what I seen other than what you suggested looked like a heavy barrel gun. I don't mind some weight but I've packed a bull barrel around before and would rather not go quite that heavy.

Nimrodmar 10, I would like to stay under $800-900 for the rifle.

The tikka trigger is very easy to adjust all you need is an alan wrench I have all mine adjusted to around 1lb 12oz it literally takes less than 60 seconds.

Take a look at the Remington 700 SPS in either blue or stainless. You can pick up the blue for around $500 or so. Great light weight rifle with synthetic stock, matte finish, adjustable trigger. I've put a lot of people on this rifle and have never had anyone complain.

If you want to shoot bullets heavier than 55 grains, you might look at the Savage model 10 Predator. Savage is the only bolt gun that I have found that offers their 250's in three different twist rates. Most manufacturers only offer a 1 in 14 twist.
For me, a 50 grain V Max out of my 1 in 14 twist Browning works just fine.

If you want to shoot bullets heavier than 55 grains, you might look at the Savage model 10 Predator. Savage is the only bolt gun that I have found that offers their 250's in three different twist rates. Most manufacturers only offer a 1 in 14 twist.
For me, a 50 grain V Max out of my 1 in 14 twist Browning works just fine.

What model Browning would you suggest.

I guess that would depend on your personal taste. I had an A Bolt Varmint in 22-250 that I got rid of because it was just too heavy for the way I hunt. Now I shoot a 2010 Shot Show Special X Bolt in 22-250. Much lighter and every bit as accurate. I walk a lot and carry both a rifle and shotgun when I hunt.

Found a Tikka Hunter with wood stock, used. Appears to be not shot much, maybe rode in a rack more than anything. Around $500. Wasn't even looking used. Thoughts?

The sky is the limit!....if your checkbook can handle it. The best glass I have ever had the fortune of looking through is a Huskemaw Blue Diamond that I won on this website. If I had an endless supply if money, I would have one on all my rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.