Whats a good gun for coyotes??

50 bmg never had one run off with this round!!!!!!LOL

A 223,22-250,243 are all great just comes down to distance and if you r wanting the fur. a 17 or 22 hornet would be fur friendly all will get the job done if you do your part.

Some of your bears require a bit more umph to put down.

And bears are known to answer game calls and not be wearing their happy face.

That makes predator hunting a wee bit more sticky!!

Note: I am a rancher myself. I like a cartridge/bullet combo that fragments easily to afford our cattle as much safety as possibe.

(I have had to just about "pry" coyotes out of our cattle for a shot).

This does not make a good mix for a bear gun however.

It's a shame that Canada frowns on handguns like they do. My answer in my neck of the sage brush is to pack a medium to lighter rifle for coyotes and a large bore handgun for the just in case happenings.

Best regards

Three 44s

Anything in your hand when you see a coyote is a good coyote rifle. My favorite coyote cartriges:
1st-243 win
2nd-223 rem
3rd-any flat shooting deer rifle.

Rifles:
There are a lot of great factory rifles out there that can shoot better than most people are capable of. For the more skilled marksman you can spent a lot of money for a custom rifle and a lot of time for precision ammo and you will get better accuracy. However for what I consider practical hunting situations that isn't really necessary.

I think that the Savage 11/111 is a lot of rifle for the money and would be towards the top of my list. Another consideration is that sometimes just having an inexpensive beater rifle that stays in the truck may get you more dogs just cause you have it when you need it rather than that beauty of a safe queen that you are afraid to scratch up and just sits at home.

At least that has been my experience. I finally bought my dream varmint rifle last year. Fancy, beautiful, and expensive. When I pick up that $1k+ beauty to go hunting, I consider the bumps, dust, and bruises that will likely happen as I crawl over lava rock and through the sage with her. Then I put it back in the safe and pick up my hammered old 243.

I would suggest a 243, 7mm-08, 260 or 25-06. They are fine cross over calibers for varmints and deer / black bear. They are not big recoiling rounds. Savage, Ruger American and Tikka rifles are good accurate rifles for the money. Howa is another great gun. I am not sure about Canada but 243 has been a difficult caliber to find right now in the states. I would check your caliber availability as part of the decision process. I work at a major sporting goods store and some calibers are just hard to get right now.

I reckon my "ultimate" fox/'yote/wolf with the occasional deer rifle would be a .257 Roberts. Shoots like a .243W which is a great round for vulps but is limited in bullet weights and for deer I like a heavy for calibre bullet. (Difficult to get anything bigger than 105gr out of .243 whereas you can get 115-120gr out of the Bob).

Bears however are a different kettle of fish.... Never hunted them but I'd like something chunky. Out of what I own I'd take my 9.3x62...

How much rifle do you need for a bear? I'm guessing a bear rifle will drop anything below that without issue.

I shoot a Tikka t3 in 22-250 with 50 grain supperformance ammo. I can tear holes at 100 yards. I have a burris Signature Select 4x16. I love this rig. My brother just bought a Ruger American in 243. I sighted it in for him at shot it at 100,200, and 300 yards. I was shooting 95 grain Federal Fusions. 3/4" at 100 yds, 1" at 200, and 300 yards I shot a 2 shot 1/2" group!! I do a lot of shooting and I have a picture to prove it. He has a Leupold 2x7 duplex on the Ruger. I like the feel of the Ruger, and the clip is a awesome feature for predator hunting in cold weather (no fumbling shells and dropping them in the snow). With that said, my brother also owns a 22-250 for predator hunting, but bought this gun for his son who was starting to deer hunt. This gun killed 2 deer; both one shot kills with the Fusions. I have seen the pelt damage with both a 22-250 and a 243. The two are very similar depending on ammunition. The drop between the two is almost identical out to 400 yards, but the 243 bucks the wind better. I shoot ballistic tips out of my 22-250 because I have seen too many coyotes run hundreds of yards with soft point bullets. I think the 243 would be a great combo gun for you. Having a little more punch and bullet weight than a 22-250; I would try the soft points to decrease pelt damage. Good luck!! Whatever you do when your choosing a gun, pick the one that feels the best in your hands. Don't buy a gun because of a namebrand, rather buy one that feels good and you like.

I shoot a Ruger Predator in a 6.5 Creedmoor and that would make you a mean coyote rifle! It shoots lights out and its really comfortable to sit behind. And if its really windy(which it is ive hunted manitoba before) then you wont beat the 6.5 with a 140 grain bullet. Ive shot a few dogs with it and they were all DRT. It maybe a little more expensive than the ruger American but its a heck of a lot prettier! Also a much better quality rifle. All my friends that have shot this rifle have instantly fell in love with it lol! Buy this gun, and you wont regret it.

I'll tell you the best Yote gun is!

A camera.

I've had 3 stands the last week, called in 4 Yotes, got away 1 shot, and missed. (all I could see was from his nose up - excuses)

Grr it's tough out here. 2 feet of hard enough snow to JUST about walk on, and 6 inches of squeaky powder and -20C, freeze yer butt off. :D

I live in Manitoba on a cow farm and we got tons of coyotes. The other morning my brother scared up 5 not 400 yards from our house in our bale yard! I've been using a Weatherby Vangaurd .270 win gun) its my cousins and I'm am looking for a good solid yote gun. I like the 22-250 but is it good for wind( which we have tons of). Another thing is I do some bear and deer hunting and so would it work to have a single gun battery to cover all these animals or should I get 2 guns?? I have thought of the .30.06 for which I can get factory ammo at 55 grain all the way up to 220 grain. What should i think of doing?? And as far as Brands and models what is a good budget rifle??

From a fellow MB resident, I would say to get you a 22-250 and load it with Berger 50gr flat base target bullets. I find this a great coyote load, and have taken 3 coyotes between 470-500 yards. 2 of which were a double in considerable wind. The 22-250 isn't known for it's wind bucking ability, but plenty of practice more than makes up for it. I shoot my rifle quite a bit in the summer at gophers etc and use this as practice for the winter months. Closer shots will cause a bit of fur damage unless your shot placement is picked carefully (as for a brand I would suggest a Savage or a Savage Axis, they are low priced and accurate as I'll get out)

As for deer and bear, the 22-250 is an okay deer round loaded with the right bullet and shot placement. I used 55gr Sierra Game King 6 seasons ago to take a nice 5x4 MB whitetail. For bear, I would want something a little bigger...anything 30 cal or if using anything smaller, a premium monometal bullet out of a 260 or 243 would be my choice. Again, a Savage or Savage Axis is all you would need in a larger cal!!

As for optics, I would suggest Scorpion optics, they're a local company based out of WPG with low priced quality optics. Etched reticles and quality glass in a wide variety of scopes for both varmint and big game hunting!

Scorpion Optics - Home

So there you have it...buy 2 guns and be twice as happy!!

I live in Manitoba on a cow farm and we got tons of coyotes. The other morning my brother scared up 5 not 400 yards from our house in our bale yard! I've been using a Weatherby Vangaurd .270 win gun) its my cousins and I'm am looking for a good solid yote gun. I like the 22-250 but is it good for wind( which we have tons of). Another thing is I do some bear and deer hunting and so would it work to have a single gun battery to cover all these animals or should I get 2 guns?? I have thought of the .30.06 for which I can get factory ammo at 55 grain all the way up to 220 grain. What should i think of doing?? And as far as Brands and models what is a good budget rifle??

My uncle (now departed) killed hundreds as a bounty hunter for the Grange, in Texas, with a 220 swift. He handloaded heavy bullets. I dont know the weights, but he had kills out to 600 yards in the upper Texas panhandle. Bounties were paid out by the Grange, and monetary support to it was provided by the XIT, Bivins, and other ranches. I was very young in the early 60's when he was hunting, but I do remember piles of Navy clothespins with many pair of bloody ears on his rear jeep floor boards. He made a living for years on his skills. Ears in those days brought 5.00 USD per pair. Based on his skills and rifle, I would have to vote for 220 swift.

I tend to agree with the fellow who said, "Whatever you have in your hand!" Last two I killed were shot at about 15 yrs while I was hunting squirrels. Both chest shots with a .17 Mach 2. 2 jumps and a couple of masochistic bites and they were done.
That said, shots around here are usually under 200 yrs so .22 WMR, .222, .223 Rem get the most use.

The .257 Roberts has always intrigued me but I think if I lived where you do I'd go for at least a .260.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.