Time for a different barrel wby 30-378

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Plugdumper, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Plugdumper

Plugdumper Member

Would like to add new barrel on my 30-378. Torn between a Lilja and Krieger anybody have any suggestions about the 2 choices.

2. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

The smith I use is currently leaning towards Krieger. The couple we've had have been great, I expect the one in the pipeline to be good also. I would expect Lilja to be good also. Quite a few good barrel companies out there, installed correctly they're great. Get someone you know can do the work, and consider what they recommend.

3. azsugarbear

azsugarbear Well-Known Member

All the big names produce great barrels. Backlog is about 8-9 months for the A-list barrel makers. If you don't want to wait that long, then plan on paying a premium for something currently in stock.

Check out:

www.bugholes.com
    www.brunoshooters.com

Both are good places to start.

4. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

If your rifle is a Weatherby Accumark, it came with a Krieger (cut rifled) from the factory. If it's a Mark V it came with a Criterion (button-rifled).

Krieger makes excellent barrels, so does Dan Lilja.

Talking with my smith today, he was telling me about some customers he has had that he put cheap Douglas barrels on that the customers say are shooting lights out, and winning, or placing top 3 in 1K comps. He also said that, not to be bragging and in his opinion, a gun will only shoot as good as the skills of the smith who built it. That over the last 60 years he's installed everything from the highest quality to the lowest quality, and that he's seen cheap barrels win tournaments, and good ones lose. So, basically he was saying it's 50% the smith, 40% shooter, and 10% parts.

5. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

Since this is the LongRangeHunting site, before replacing the barrel with another 30-378 chamber I'd suggest comparing the ballistics of the 300 and 338 Norma Magnum cartridges shooting modern low drag bullets.

6. Plugdumper

Plugdumper Member

Love this web site the information you guys lay out there is usually right on the pig sticker. Thanks for the help I will mull all that over

7. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either of your choices.

8. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

.30-378 is one of my favorites, if I had one, I probably would stick to that caliber, especially if you already have all the stuff for reloading it.

9. highridge1

highridge1 Well-Known Member

Not a tough choice Krieger for sure

10. Chase Curtis

Chase Curtis Official LRH Sponsor

might I throw in a suggestion... try a mullerworks barrel. I have one going on one of our big 30s and they flat out shoot. plus its like a 4 week wait.. :D

11. clemens

clemens Well-Known Member

I found a .30-378 in Alpine WYO couple weeks ago at a little sporting goods store. $1200 came with 2 boxes of ammo had new barrel on it. Stock had some wear on I from being in a scabbard. Very nice and very tempting.

12. walter351

walter351 Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with a Lilja. I have one on my 264 Win mag and it has shot ragged one hole groups since day one. Love their barrels.